• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get in trouble for child endangerment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martsin

What is the name of your state? California

I recently got a new roommate. This roommate has a child. She told me about her child before moving in, but did not tell me that he has a severe peanut allergy. Now she is expecting me to remove all peanut products from the apartment. This is not practical for me because my daughter has ARFID and one of the few things she will eat is peanut butter sandwiches. Of course I clean up after her, but preventing my 5 year old from getting tiny amounts of peanut butter residue off of absolutely everything seems practically impossible. My roommate has said that I could be sent to jail for child endangerment if her son comes into contact with a peanut allergen because of me. Is that true?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California

I recently got a new roommate. This roommate has a child. She told me about her child before moving in, but did not tell me that he has a severe peanut allergy. Now she is expecting me to remove all peanut products from the apartment. This is not practical for me because my daughter has ARFID and one of the few things she will eat is peanut butter sandwiches. Of course I clean up after her, but preventing my 5 year old from getting tiny amounts of peanut butter residue off of absolutely everything seems practically impossible. My roommate has said that I could be sent to jail for child endangerment if her son comes into contact with a peanut allergen because of me. Is that true?
I suggest you and the new roomie part ways.

adjusterjack

She refuses to move.
The proper steps for eviction in CA start with a WRITTEN 30 day notice of termination of tenancy. If she's not out by the deadline, you file for eviction through the court.

What happens in the meantime though if her kid get's an allergy attack?
Make sure the "epi" pen (or whatever remedy) is on hand in case the kid goes into anaphylactic shock.

She's BSing you about jail. It's highly unlikely that the authorities will ever get involved in an accidental exposure to peanuts.

Going forward, I suggest you avoid roommate arrangements.

If what I read on the internet is any indication, they are almost certainly to become nightmares.

quincy

What happens in the meantime though if her kid get's an allergy attack?
Your roommate should have an epipen on hand at all times and she should want a release from the lease for her child’s sake. You, as a reasonable and caring roommate, should make sure your home is peanut free in the meantime. You don’t want to be responsible for another child’s life-threatening reaction to a known allergen.

martsin

The proper steps for eviction in CA start with a WRITTEN 30 day notice of termination of tenancy. If she's not out by the deadline, you file for eviction through the court.

Make sure the "epi" pen (or whatever remedy) is on hand in case the kid goes into anaphylactic shock.

She's BSing you about jail. It's highly unlikely that the authorities will ever get involved in an accidental exposure to peanuts.

Going forward, I suggest you avoid roommate arrangements.

If what I read on the internet is any indication, they are almost certainly to become nightmares.
I wish I could, but I can't afford this apartment on my own and I still have half a year on my lease.

martsin

Your roommate should have an epipen on hand at all times and she should want a release from the lease for her child’s sake. You, as a reasonable and caring roommate, should make sure your home is peanut free in the meantime. You don’t want to be responsible for another child’s life-threatening reaction to a known allergen.
She wants to stay because rent is more affordable than living on her own. I can be more diligent in cleaning, but there's no way I can make the apartment completely peanut free.

martsin

Well, you may wish to find an alternative to peanut butter for your child.
I've tried before. her school doesn't actually allow peanut butter either. But given her condition she would rather starve than eat alternatives. So she has to eat lunch in a separate room and clean up before she goes out to play with the other kids. We are working with a therapist, but it takes time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">