• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get in trouble for this? Possible Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This almost has evolved into a "Dear Abby" session. :rolleyes:

I think you should simply click the ignore button and leave the drama alone. These Facebook "friends" are more like blimps on a radar screen than a "real friend". Last count, I had 13 friends on my list and I personally know everyone of them. All but one reside in my state. My wife on the otherhand has about 300 "friends" and only knows like a few more than the original 13 I have. Don't sweat it.

But to address harrassment, first off there is a Terms of Service that you and everyone with a Facebook account agreed to. There are millions of users and millions of these messages sent all around the world. Hypothetically, what if you lived in Arkansas and "Girl A" lived in China or let's be alittle more local and stay within this country and say she lived in Michigan. The question that must be considered is one of "yep, it may or may not be harrassment" but other than complaining to an Internet Provider, Facebook or whatever, then what does one do? Where does jurisdiction be found? Is it possible for you to commit a misdemeanor by "harrassing" or even "threatening" while your person is in one state and a complainant in some other state, or even some other country? What then?

Can she or anyone else go to the local county courthouse and swear out an arrest warrant and have the person in some other state brought into another state to answer some state law offense? If the answer to all this is YES, then we all are in big trouble. This is a classic opportunity to apply the old Army reasoning of ~~~K.I.S.S.~~~ and be done with it.

Hint: You can always assume a new identity and say hi to Girl A as anyone you want to be :cool:

Do I have to drop my helpful friend who gave me the head's up?
I have read the TOS for Facebook also. Facebook has a awesome Privacy feature on how you want to communicate.

What if someone is really harassing someone on there sexually (just by words)? No pictures. The same BLOCK rule applies right on Facebook? They can report it and the worst that will happen is an account being disabled or warned.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
*I* think you should just open your FB page up to the world and not worry about what people think.

mistoffolees

Ok.

Do I also have to drop my helpful friend also?
No. You are allowed to have any friends that you want (and who want you). If Girl A wants to link to Girl B's page and you happen to be friends with Girl B, then that's Girl A's choice.

So have whatever friends you want, make your page as open as you want, but just block anyone who refuses to have any contact with you. If they get indirect info because they're on someone else's page, that's their problem.

Gracie3787

No, you don't have to block or unfriend your friend.
To keep your posts from showing up on the unwanted friend's news feed, all you have to do is set your privacy settings for friends only. If you have the settings set for friends of friends your posts will show up on unwanted friend's news page.

mistoffolees

No, you don't have to block or unfriend your friend.
To keep your posts from showing up on the unwanted friend's news feed, all you have to do is set your privacy settings for friends only. If you have the settings set for friends of friends your posts will show up on unwanted friend's news page.
Yes, but OP may choose to be more open. In that case, simply blocking the 'friend' would be sufficient.

No. You are allowed to have any friends that you want (and who want you). If Girl A wants to link to Girl B's page and you happen to be friends with Girl B, then that's Girl A's choice.

So have whatever friends you want, make your page as open as you want, but just block anyone who refuses to have any contact with you. If they get indirect info because they're on someone else's page, that's their problem.
I agree but some folks don't know how to use Facebook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">