• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get rid of the interest on judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Is there any way to get the interest on a judgement that has gone to collection reduced, dropped or even frozen? :confused:

KmanStuck

You can try to get it negotiated down with the creditor; if the court allowed interest the court will do nothing about it.

If you can pay if off completely w/o some of the interest, the creditor may say OK.

I would not count on it though.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Is there any way to get the interest on a judgement that has gone to collection reduced, dropped or even frozen? :confused:
Pay the judgement ~ IN FULL including interest:cool:

You don't get to deprived someone from the use of their asset and not have to pay for it.

justalayman

huh?

you lost me with the:

has gone to collection reduced, dropped or even frozen
as far as the rest of the question:

RCW 4.56.110
Interest on judgments.

Interest on judgments shall accrue as follows:

(1) Judgments founded on written contracts, providing for the payment of interest until paid at a specified rate, shall bear interest at the rate specified in the contracts: PROVIDED, That said interest rate is set forth in the judgment.

(2) All judgments for unpaid child support that have accrued under a superior court order or an order entered under the administrative procedure act shall bear interest at the rate of twelve percent.

(3)(a) Judgments founded on the tortious conduct of a "public agency" as defined in RCW 42.30.020 shall bear interest from the date of entry at two percentage points above the equivalent coupon issue yield, as published by the board of governors of the federal reserve system, of the average bill rate for twenty-six week treasury bills as determined at the first bill market auction conducted during the calendar month immediately preceding the date of entry. In any case where a court is directed on review to enter judgment on a verdict or in any case where a judgment entered on a verdict is wholly or partly affirmed on review, interest on the judgment or on that portion of the judgment affirmed shall date back to and shall accrue from the date the verdict was rendered.

(b) Except as provided in (a) of this subsection, judgments founded on the tortious conduct of individuals or other entities, whether acting in their personal or representative capacities, shall bear interest from the date of entry at two percentage points above the prime rate, as published by the board of governors of the federal reserve system on the first business day of the calendar month immediately preceding the date of entry. In any case where a court is directed on review to enter judgment on a verdict or in any case where a judgment entered on a verdict is wholly or partly affirmed on review, interest on the judgment or on that portion of the judgment affirmed shall date back to and shall accrue from the date the verdict was rendered.

(4) Except as provided under subsections (1), (2), and (3) of this section, judgments shall bear interest from the date of entry at the maximum rate permitted under RCW 19.52.020 on the date of entry thereof. In any case where a court is directed on review to enter judgment on a verdict or in any case where a judgment entered on a verdict is wholly or partly affirmed on review, interest on the judgment or on that portion of the judgment affirmed shall date back to and shall accrue from the date the verdict was rendered. The method for determining an interest rate prescribed by this subsection is also the method for determining the "rate applicable to civil judgments" for purposes of RCW 10.82.090.

Let me give more detail.

The fines are from driving while suspended 3rd degree. They go back several years. They have gone to collection with AllianceOne, ever heard of them? Anyway, I owe the fines and I have entered into a program set up by the county to pay the fines while being able to keep my license. I have been paying faithfully for 2 years, but the with the interest and AllianceOne's massive fees I owe 3 times the amount of the principle.

I'm not trying to get out of what I owe, just trying to get it paid off.

thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">