• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I keep my daughter during a summer visit and fight for custody from my state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatieAnne713

I'm going to ass-ume that you have joint legal custody -- in which case, you'd need Dad's approval to take her to counseling.
He refuses to tell me anything and threatens her if she tells me anything. They are moving and I am not suppose to know. I am not suppose to know what school she is in. He has been in a wreck with her and they both went to the hospital and I am not suppose to know about it.

Thanks for the advice, I just want to make sure I dont do anything illegal that could hurt my chances. My intentions are not to keep my daughter from her dad but to make sure she is safe and happy.

Silverplum

The custody case has two parties, mom and dad. The child is not a party to the case. Grandma cannot testify on the child's behalf in a custody case. A GAL could do that, but not grandma.
A GAL, a teacher, a counselor -- but not someone who LIVED in the home and witnessed?

I'll wait for OG to verify that one.

KatieAnne713

But she hasn't notified anyone as to the mistreatment?

Have you talked with Grandma at all?
I have been talking to the Grandma almost daily. She is very worried about my daughter and the way she is being treated BUT I think she is afraid that the father would keep the child from her so she has not done anything but try talking to him. Her way of "fixing" it is by telling me as she knows I will do whatever I can to stop whats going on and the father wont be angry with her as its not coming from her.

LdiJ

A GAL, a teacher, a counselor -- but not someone who LIVED in the home and witnessed?

The only person who can testify on "behalf" of a child in a custody case would be someone like a GAL, therapist or attorney ad litem who is permitted to speak for the child. Otherwise its hearsay.

Grandma can testify for the respondent or the plaintiff...or against the respondent or the plaintiff.

mistoffolees

What my daughter has told me, what his mother has told me (they live with her), and what my daughter has told her school. So I don't have much for proof. Would taking her to a counselor while she is here help me in anyway? How would I even go about getting proof?
Wait a second.

The daughter told the school? Teachers and counselors are mandated reporters. They should have reported it if, as you claimed, there were bruises on the child.

What happened after they reported it?

KatieAnne713

Wait a second.

The daughter told the school? Teachers and counselors are mandated reporters. They should have reported it if, as you claimed, there were bruises on the child.

What happened after they reported it?

She reported it. The teacher saw a change in how she was acting and pulled her to the side, after my daughter told her what was going on she was sent to the school counselor. I worked at a preschool so I know they are required to report it. I just don't know how to find out if they did nor do I how long they take to start an investigation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The GAL can call the grandmother to testify regarding the child's treatment as can any other party to the case.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The only person who can testify on "behalf" of a child in a custody case would be someone like a GAL, therapist or attorney ad litem who is permitted to speak for the child. Otherwise its hearsay.

Grandma can testify for the respondent or the plaintiff...or against the respondent or the plaintiff.
Actually you are wrong. It is hearsay regardless. SOME hearsay is admissible and some isn't. As a GAL or attorney ad litem you cannot testify with hearsay. It is INADMISSIBLE under the rules of evidence. Nor can a therapist testify to what the child has STATED.

KatieAnne713

Actually you are wrong. It is hearsay regardless. SOME hearsay is admissible and some isn't. As a GAL or attorney ad litem you cannot testify with hearsay. It is INADMISSIBLE under the rules of evidence. Nor can a therapist testify to what the child has STATED.
So what do I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">