• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I make my ex put our daughter back in school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I have a parenting plan with my ex wife for our 2 teenage children, its being severely violated in every way possible and I was already getting ready to attempt legal action against her. We share Joint Legal custody, the mother has the kids during the school days and we are suppose to have equal rights and equal say in all major decisions including school.
On what should have been my daughters (16) first day back to school at the school I know they go to currently, I received a call from the principal saying Hey do you know your daughter wasn't in school? He said that when he finally got ahold of their mother she claims she will be homeschooling her. But she sent my son to the school
She didn't tell me as she hides everything from me, when I emailed her she didn't reply and that same day my daughter posted pictures of herself drinking alcohol. When I confronted my ex wife about this also she got onto our kids facebook and blocked me.. I called CPS and the police who Im pretty sure are investigating still and the cop has a meeting with the school tomorrow.
When I go to court for all the plan violations I want to request our daughter be put back into school. Am I allowed to do this? Is it likely a judge would see my concern
Im not worried about the social aspects of homeschooling, I appose homeschooling for my daughter because; she is already behind 1 grade, last year she failed math and her mother allowed her to miss 40 days of school, and most importantly my daughter was diagnosed by the school with a learning disability in some subjects and required extra tutoring and help that they were providing. Also last year my ex sent our child to a hospital after her talks of suicide because her mom keeps moving and changing schools but now is changing it again so our daughter can hangout with her best friend
My ex wife sent in no letter of intent to home school like cps said she should have, she never notified me and is now avoiding me and laughing about what shes doing on facebook, she has no books, no education log, internet, computer or any other educational tool what so ever.
I work a job that requires me to travel and am in the process of looking for another job so that Im able to take custody but until then I want to do what I legally can to make sure that our daughter doesn't fall behind in school more and go down the wrong path......Am I able to make her go back to school?

Just Blue

I have a parenting plan with my ex wife for our 2 teenage children, its being severely violated in every way possible and I was already getting ready to attempt legal action against her. We share Joint Legal custody, the mother has the kids during the school days and we are suppose to have equal rights and equal say in all major decisions including school.
On what should have been my daughters (16) first day back to school at the school I know they go to currently, I received a call from the principal saying Hey do you know your daughter wasn't in school? He said that when he finally got ahold of their mother she claims she will be homeschooling her. But she sent my son to the school
She didn't tell me as she hides everything from me, when I emailed her she didn't reply and that same day my daughter posted pictures of herself drinking alcohol. When I confronted my ex wife about this also she got onto our kids facebook and blocked me.. I called CPS and the police who Im pretty sure are investigating still and the cop has a meeting with the school tomorrow.
When I go to court for all the plan violations I want to request our daughter be put back into school. Am I allowed to do this? Is it likely a judge would see my concern
Im not worried about the social aspects of homeschooling, I appose homeschooling for my daughter because; she is already behind 1 grade, last year she failed math and her mother allowed her to miss 40 days of school, and most importantly my daughter was diagnosed by the school with a learning disability in some subjects and required extra tutoring and help that they were providing. Also last year my ex sent our child to a hospital after her talks of suicide because her mom keeps moving and changing schools but now is changing it again so our daughter can hangout with her best friend
My ex wife sent in no letter of intent to home school like cps said she should have, she never notified me and is now avoiding me and laughing about what shes doing on facebook, she has no books, no education log, internet, computer or any other educational tool what so ever.
I work a job that requires me to travel and am in the process of looking for another job so that Im able to take custody but until then I want to do what I legally can to make sure that our daughter doesn't fall behind in school more and go down the wrong path......Am I able to make her go back to school?
thread Hx.

LdiJ

YOU are not able to make her go back to school, but a JUDGE is able to make her go back to school if the judge agrees with you on the situation.

Dad, if your daughter is 16 I am not sure that you should change your career path in order to try to take custody. Your daughter will be 18 in less than two years. Custody cases can take anywhere from six months to a year. If it takes you six months to get another job, and then another year to win a custody battle, your child will be so close to age 18 that you won't have any time to make a serious difference with her. Once she hits 18, its her choice where she lives.

Talk to a local attorney as see what he/she thinks about the possibility of any kind of emergency case to try to get your daughter back into school ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">