• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue a municipal court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevero

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was ticketed for a turn violation and told by the cop the muni court would mail me the amount of fine to be mailed in. I never received anything from the court and forgot all about it. Next thing I know, I am notified that a bench warrant was issed for failure to appear. After looking into things, I noticed that the cop wrote my address wrong on the ticket (88th Street, not 66th Street). As best I can figure out, the original mailing went to wrong address. I went to the court, and a nice lady agreed to the mistake, and dropped, waived, or set aside (I'm not sure just what it was) the failure to appear, and I paid the fine for the turn violation.

Many months later I learned that my license was suspended with the State because of the failure to appear. Long story short, I managed to get documentation to the state from the city that the failure to appear had been resolved, and I was reinstated.

The problem now is that the state suspension still shows on my record, and insurance companies want big $$$$ to cover me. The state says it will clear my record if the city will provide documentation that the failure to appear was their mistake. I've talked to the muni court till I'm blue in the face, and can get no satisfaction. Now they claim they mailed the original notice to me at my correct address (wrong!) and won't offer any help.

Question: Can I sue in small claims court the municipal court to get them to provide the needed document? If so, who do I sue? I know I have to sue the correct legal name. In Missouri legal names are maintained by the Secretary of State, but I cannot find any listings for my city or county or its courts (the Kansas City Municipal Court is a division of the Jackson County Circuit Court, which is where small claims are filed).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">