• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Sue for Wasted Time Due to Doctors Incorrectly Billing Me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audioresearch

I'm in Massachusetts.

I've been billed by two doctors for items I already paid and for which I have receipts proving it.

Can I sue for the time I've had to waste to send copies of the receipts to the doctors as a result of their billing errors?

Even after I mailed copies of the receipts, both have continued to bill me.

So far, I've paid none of these bogus bills since I don't really owe the money.

Can I sue under MA ch 93a for treble damages? If I can, then do I have to first pay the bills in order to have damages or in the alternative, is there any theory I can use to claim as part of my damages the amounts I am being billed even if I don't pay those amounts?

acmb05

I'm in Massachusetts.

I've been billed by two doctors for items I already paid and for which I have receipts proving it.

Can I sue for the time I've had to waste to send copies of the receipts to the doctors as a result of their billing errors?

Even after I mailed copies of the receipts, both have continued to bill me.

So far, I've paid none of these bogus bills since I don't really owe the money.

Can I sue under MA ch 93a for treble damages? If I can, then do I have to first pay the bills in order to have damages or in the alternative, is there any theory I can use to claim as part of my damages the amounts I am being billed even if I don't pay those amounts?
Are you serious? What did it take you about 5 minutes to copy and mail.

Go to the offices and tell them they need to stop billing you and show them the receipts.

applecruncher

:rolleyes:

That's like suing for time 'wasted' in doctor's waiting room or the time spent in grocery story check-out line. You spent more time registering and posting your problem on this site than you did on the copying and mailing.

I was on hold for 9 minutes the over evening with my cell ph carrier. Hmmmm.

Call or stop by their office, show your documentation, and tell them to stop sending you bills.

JustAPal00

Actually I did read about a lawyer who sued a doctor for wasted time in a waiting room. The lawyer sent the Dr a bill and when the Dr didn't pay it took him to court.

Debt Guy

Of course. One of the most fundamental of rights is the right to seek redress of a wrong in court. English common law settled that question four or five hundred years ago.

But, you are asking the wrong question.

1. Can I find an attorney would would represent me with a straight face?
2. Can I afford the retainer for my attorney?
3. Will it hurt when the judge whacks me on the head with his little wooden hammer?
4. Can I afford the legal fees of the doctor when the judge rules that my suit is frivolous?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">