• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue room mate on contract who fled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

I will say that I understand your feelings on the debt owed you! I was beat out of $1200 in 1985 by a roommate, and have never forgotten it. I was poor and in college, and it caused me a lot of hardship! He lives in California now and is pretty successful. He even ran into my college girlfriend a few years ago at a charity event, she called me right away because she knew how I felt about it. I WILL GET IT BACK SOME DAY!

dcatz

CJ -
It occurred to me later that you might want to look into whether, in fact, your buddy did post bail and how. There may be a bailbondsman on the hook for this clown and, if so, appreciation for getting him back might be expressed in some currency.

Whether that can happen or not, it doesn't change anything that I previously said about the need to alert authorities. It was just an additional thought

One other thought is to check whether the SOL is tolled while he's in the can in whatever state he's charged in. If it's suspened while he's incarcerated, you lose nothing and can obviously keep tabs on him. You could serve him when he's about to be released but, from your story, you'd have to decide if it's worth the trouble. It dosen't sound as if you'll every see a dime from this one.

SHORTY LONG

CJ -
It occurred to me later that you might want to look into whether, in fact, your buddy did post bail and how. There may be a bailbondsman on the hook for this clown and, if so, appreciation for getting him back might be expressed in some currency.

Whether that can happen or not, it doesn't change anything that I previously said about the need to alert authorities. It was just an additional thought

One other thought is to check whether the SOL is tolled while he's in the can in whatever state he's charged in. If it's suspened while he's incarcerated, you lose nothing and can obviously keep tabs on him. You could serve him when he's about to be released but, from your story, you'd have to decide if it's worth the trouble. It dosen't sound as if you'll every see a dime from this one.
Outstanding Dcatz!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">