• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the hospital for negligence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andycho

CA

I recently got out of the hospital after being in isolation room for a month cause of my MRSA virus and a bacterial arthritis of the hip. During this hospital stay, i had this sweatshirt I wore during the whole time I was staying in the hospital and when I left, I wore the exact same thing as I was wearing the day I came in. I didn't know that the sweatshirt I had been wearing at the hospital could be infected with MRSA virus. So I wore it couple of more days until finally I washed the sweatshirt with my other laundry items. Now potentially everything I washed the sweatshirt with is a virus farm. It's been about 10 days since I left the hospital and I'm starting to get the same feeling of pain I was feeling when I went into the hospital initially. Now, I heard that the hospital was supposed to get rid of my sweatshirt or anything else that I was wearing which could be caring the virus, but nobody had said anything to me or try to stop me from leaving the hospital in same infected cloths. In test results, they state that my blood culture said I'm free of the virus. So id I caught it again, most likely from the shirt, could I sue the hospital for being careless?

andycho

That's not true, I've been researching online about the virus and it survives longer than 2 hours, it cam live up to weeks they said and if the laundry wasn't done in the jott setting which I didn't do, it would still be there...it cam live through hea as high as 140 degrees...

andycho

I had one open wound but it was covered up I was told by another nurse who doesn't work at the hospital I was at, that they should have never let me leave the hospital with the contaminated sweatshirt .

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then by all means contact a medical malpractice attorney and see what they say.

quincy

CA

I recently got out of the hospital after being in isolation room for a month cause of my MRSA virus and a bacterial arthritis of the hip. During this hospital stay, i had this sweatshirt I wore during the whole time I was staying in the hospital and when I left, I wore the exact same thing as I was wearing the day I came in. I didn't know that the sweatshirt I had been wearing at the hospital could be infected with MRSA virus. So I wore it couple of more days until finally I washed the sweatshirt with my other laundry items. Now potentially everything I washed the sweatshirt with is a virus farm. It's been about 10 days since I left the hospital and I'm starting to get the same feeling of pain I was feeling when I went into the hospital initially. Now, I heard that the hospital was supposed to get rid of my sweatshirt or anything else that I was wearing which could be caring the virus, but nobody had said anything to me or try to stop me from leaving the hospital in same infected cloths. In test results, they state that my blood culture said I'm free of the virus. So id I caught it again, most likely from the shirt, could I sue the hospital for being careless?
Were you provided with oral and written aftercare instructions when you were being discharged from the hospital, as required under California’s Code of Regulations? Did the instructions include a note to follow up on the hospital care with your personal physician?

Were you provided with a Patient’s Rights document, advising that you were entitled to the return of all of the personal possessions you had with you when you entered the hospital (unless determined by the hospital to be hazardous), as required under California’s Code of Regulations? Were these possessions kept in a sealed bag?

Does the health problem you are experiencing now appear to be related to your arthritic hip?

andycho

Were you provided with oral and written aftercare instructions when you were being discharged from the hospital, as required under California’s Code of Regulations? Did the instructions include a note to follow up on the hospital care with your personal physician?

Were you provided with a Patient’s Rights document, advising that you were entitled to the return of all of the personal possessions you had with you when you entered the hospital (unless determined by the hospital to be hazardous), as required under California’s Code of Regulations? Were these possessions kept in a sealed bag?

Does the health problem you are experiencing now appear to be related to your arthritic hip?
See I was wearing this same old sweatshirt the whole time I was in the hospital. My bottom shirts were in the shelf with a closing door in the same room but not sealed. Considering how freaked out they were about me leaving that room when I was there, they sure didn't seem to mind me leaving with the same clothes I was wearing when I went in. No one told me anything or stop me , or were reas any discharge instructions.they gave me a written something to sign but they really should have made sure I didn't walk out the hospital with the virus farm. And yes the problem I'm experiencing is very similar to my problem I had before I went into the hospital.
And I believe they gave me a date for follow up with my physician but I don't know what that has to do with.my initial question...
I hope I answered ur question....

quincy

See I was wearing this same old sweatshirt the whole time I was in the hospital. My bottom shirts were in the shelf with a closing door in the same room but not sealed. Considering how freaked out they were about me leaving that room when I was there, they sure didn't seem to mind me leaving with the same clothes I was wearing when I went in. No one told me anything or stop me , or were reas any discharge instructions.they gave me a written something to sign but they really should have made sure I didn't walk out the hospital with the virus farm. And yes the problem I'm experiencing is very similar to my problem I had before I went into the hospital.
And I believe they gave me a date for follow up with my physician but I don't know what that has to do with.my initial question...
I hope I answered ur question....
You stayed in isolation at the hospital in your street clothes for a month? You were not in a hospital gown?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I don't think you can sue the hospital, particularly not before you have a doctor verify that you have picked up the same condition again and a medical expert verified that the virus not only can have lived on your clothes for ten days or more AND survived the washing process (I suspect your internet research is a bit faulty). But I also think you're not going to believe anything we tell you unless it's what you want to hear, so get thee to a med-mal attorney and tell him or her your story.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">