• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I tell manager no?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1303

Wisconsin
I started a new job bartending. First day training the manager told my trainer to throw me a few bucks and they would split the rest 3 ways (her and her son cooked). Thought it was a training thing. Second night manager was supposed to train me, she disappeared and sat in office. Trainer from previous night jumped in to help. When I cashed CC tips in I put some in pocket and left in envelope for him. Manager said I won't make you split all tips with me tonight, im not that dishonest? She didn't tip kitchen staff but her son wasn't working. Third, she cooked again,and maybe served 3 drinks. I had full bucket of tips. She cashed out my CCs told me my share was 20 and change, 14 for her and 11 for her son... I went through the CC receipts it added up to the 45 she split. So She also took ALL the cash I had in tip jar. Staff and even CUSTOMERS know its an issue and say hurry up put this tip in your pocket or she will steal it. Apparently its been brought up and we were told we share tips like adults? Its an American Legion, so non profit so maybe its legal then for her to take the tips for her and her son???? I have bartended 15 years, been a bar manager, and a GM of a bar/restaurant and we were never required to tip back of the house (but could as courtesy and always gave them one if customer specified) and as manager when I jumped to help in during busy times I never took tips from staff or EVER thought about touching their tip.jar.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The rules for tipped employees under federal law are found here: tipped employees under FLSA. If you complain about violations of the federal wage law on tipping or otherwise pursue remedies for violations of the federal wage laws and your manager fires you or otherwise retaliates against you for it, that's illegal and you may have a legal claim against the employer for that.

If you complain about any actions the employer takes that are not illegal, though, you may find you get fired and have no remedy other than collecting unemployment comp.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You're rude. Sure, go ahead and tell your manager no. See how she responds.
I'm with the OP on this one. IMO Jack's response was the one that was rude. I think Jack knew very well what the OP wanted to know and gave a snarky answer in reply, much like another member does who has been criticized for such responses too. If Jack had no good information to give or valid questions to ask, I think it would have been better for him to take a pass on it.

Jrb1303

The rules for tipped employees under federal law are found here: tipped employees under FLSA. If you complain about violations of the federal wage law on tipping or otherwise pursue remedies for violations of the federal wage laws and your manager fires you or otherwise retaliates against you for it, that's illegal and you may have a legal claim against the employer for that.

If you complain about any actions the employer takes that are not illegal, though, you may find you get fired and have no remedy other than collecting unemployment comp.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">