• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use a Federal Student loan to put a down payment on a house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

It looks like I'm getting the house for free with my student loans and then the military is paying back the student loans.

Sooooooooooo Happpyyyyy!!!!

Hope everyone has a great day! you guys are great! :)

And the OG Effect is alive and well!

You're telling pork pies, and we ALL know it :cool:

It looks like I'm getting the house for free with my student loans and then the military is paying back the student loans.
Hope you're smart enough to cover your tracks. I don't think you want to experience Uncle Sam's fury while in his employ. :)

And yes, Uncle Sam tends to get furious when it comes to fraud, which if you SIGN the promissory note under those false pretenses, you WILL be committing. :)

My only regret? That my husband isn't an Army officer anymore. He would LOVE to get his hands on your butterbars. And then promptly shove them up your arse sideways. :D

cstewar23

Be wise and careful!!!

It is true that you have to be careful with the papertrail you leave behind if you decide to go the route of buying a home. But, despite the criticism and negativity you may receive. I am going to say that You could either A) get someone else (like a parent/close relative/spouse) who has good credit to get home loan for you, and then you put down the down payment B) attempt to get the home loan yourself, but you would have to get a job (to show that you earned the money and can make payments on the home). It's not as difficult as folks are making it out to be. It just has to be well-thought, and you must be careful. I know a few people who have done this. The simple fact of the matter is that this is not illegal per se. That same money that you collect in refund checks would be used on transportation and rent, if you would not invest. There are no explicit restrictions on this, and you could make an argument (if ever found out) that the money did go to your living expenses, and what is the difference between buying a home v. renting one? If you bought the home, and put enough money down, and made enough payments that by the time you were out of school, your home loan is almost paid off, you will essentially gamed the system. You would not have to worry about going to go stay with parents if left undergrad broke, and unemployed because you would have your own home. If you suspect that you may not have job when you graduate (this is contigent upon your major, the job outlook/salary for grads in the area you intend to work, and your individual networking skills (i.e. jobs, internships, and connections made in undergrad), then you might want to go with option A. Those student loans are about entrepreneurship, many people fail to realize this, and squander away what could be a great investment opportunity because they believe its "dishonest" or illegal (which it is not, look it up (nowhere does it say you cannot do this)). If you were smart enough to use the money to start a business or buy house or invest, then you deserve to reap the benefits of your plan. I wish I had done it. To this date, I don't know of anyone who has ever been prosecuted for using the refund checks to LEGALLY invest. IJS. Good Luck to you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">