• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I use this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abstract99

What is the name of your state? Az

A little over a year ago I petitioned the courts for permission to lower my child support based on my new disability rating as well as my schooling. Because my disability was service related the Government pays for me to go back to school as long as I receive my degree within 4 years. The courts ruled against me and told me that I had to hold a full time job. They calculated my child support off of the living allowance that I received for school, my disability pay as well as a full time job. This brought my income up to almost $4,000 a month when I only make roughly $2,000 a month and 24,000 a year. What I am going to school for would increase my income by roughly 55-60,000 a year.

Arizona State law reads as follows:
E. If a parent is unemployed or working below full earning capacity, the court may consider the reasons. If earnings are reduced as a matter of choice and not for
reasonable cause, the court may attribute income to a parent up to his or her earning capacity. If the reduction in income is voluntary but reasonable, the court shall balance that parent's decision and benefits therefrom against the impact the reduction in that parent's share of child support has on the children's best interest. In accordance with Arizona Revised Statutes Section 25-320, income of at least minimum wage shall be attributed to a parent ordered to pay child support. If income is attributed to the parent receiving child support, appropriate childcare expenses may also be attributed. The court may decline to attribute income to either parent. Examples of cases in which it may be inappropriate to attribute income include, but are not limited to, the following circumstances:

1. A parent is physically or mentally disabled,
2. A parent is engaged in reasonable career or occupational training to establish basic skills or reasonably calculated to enhance earning capacity

I also found the following case that was heard in the Arizona Supreme Court:

LISA L. LITTLE, Petitioner-Appellee, v. BILLY L. LITTLE, JR., Respondent-Appellant.

1 CA-CV 97-0576

COURT OF APPEALS OF ARIZONA, DIVISION ONE, DEPARTMENT A

193 Ariz. 23; 969 P.2d 188; 1998 Ariz. App. LEXIS 84; 269 Ariz. Adv. Rep. 22

May 21, 1998, Filed

PRIOR HISTORY: [***1] Appeal from the Superior Court of Maricopa County. Cause No. DR 93-13287. The Honorable M. Jean Hoag, Judge.

DISPOSITION: REVERSED AND REMANDED.
CASE SUMMARY

PROCEDURAL POSTURE: Appellant father sought review of a judgment of the Superior Court of Maricopa County (Arizona) that denied his request to modify child support on the grounds that his pursuit of a law degree was an unreasonable voluntary reduction in income and did not warrant modification. The father's motions to vacate and for a new trial were also denied.

OVERVIEW: A father filed a petition seeking modification of child support on the grounds that he had terminated his position with the Air Force and entered law school. The trial court denied the modification request, holding that the father's voluntary reduction in income was unreasonable. On appeal, the court reversed the trial court judgment. The court held that the trial court abused its discretion in ruling that the father's pursuit of a law degree was unreasonable and did not constitute a substantial and continuing change in circumstances warranting a reduction in his support obligations. The court found that the record was replete with evidence of good faith and reasonableness. The court found that the fact that the father chose to stay in-state near his children was not only reasonable but showed his desire to remain active in their upbringing. Further, it was reasonable to conclude that a law degree would enhance his economic fortunes. The court noted that the good faith test was fact specific and the decision should not be read as a bright-line rule permitting modifications in any or all cases in which an obligated spouse chose to pursue a different occupation or degree.

OUTCOME: The court reversed the trial court judgment that denied the father's request for modification of child support. The court held that the father's decision to pursue a law degree was reasonable and in good faith and therefore constituted a substantial and continuing change of circumstances warranting modification. The court denied the father's request for attorney's fees and ordered that each party was responsible for costs of the appeal.

QUESTION: Do you think that based on this information I can appeal the decision of the Judge for my case?

ceara19

abstract99 said:
What is the name of your state? Az
QUESTION: Do you think that based on this information I can appeal the decision of the Judge for my case?
I would definitely appeal. If you're unable to continue earning $40K a year because of your disability, it doesn't matter if you are going to continue your education or not. Actually, your ex would be receiving MORE CS if you are in school because of the living allotment.

Even if the appeal court upholds the judges decision that you should be working 40hrs/week, Child Support should be calculated using ONLY your imputed income. If you were working 40hrs/week at your previous job, you would not be receiving the disability and the college stipend.

abstract99

ceara19 said:
I would definitely appeal. If you're unable to continue earning $40K a year because of your disability, it doesn't matter if you are going to continue your education or not. Actually, your ex would be receiving MORE CS if you are in school because of the living allotment.

Even if the appeal court upholds the judges decision that you should be working 40hrs/week, Child Support should be calculated using ONLY your imputed income. If you were working 40hrs/week at your previous job, you would not be receiving the disability and the college stipend.
I was in the military as my previous job when I became disabled. I currently hold a full time job as well as go to school full time but it is hurting me not only because I am not supposed to be doing warehouse work but I do not have the time necessary to dedicate to my schooling. I have to work the job however because otherwize I will be arrested for contempt for non-payment because I cannot afford the CS at the rate it is at now. I am stuck because I HAVE TO finish my school within 28 months or I will lose my funding.

ceara19

abstract99 said:
I was in the military as my previous job when I became disabled. I currently hold a full time job as well as go to school full time but it is hurting me not only because I am not supposed to be doing warehouse work but I do not have the time necessary to dedicate to my schooling. I have to work the job however because otherwize I will be arrested for contempt for non-payment because I cannot afford the CS at the rate it is at now. I am stuck because I HAVE TO finish my school within 28 months or I will lose my funding.
If you continue working in a field that you have now been declared too disabled to work in, don't you risk losing the disability payments?

abstract99

ceara19 said:
If you continue working in a field that you have now been declared too disabled to work in, don't you risk losing the disability payments?
Uh yes but if I fail to pay my child support I then get thrown in Jail. I think I will take the lesser of two evils.

ceara19

abstract99 said:
Uh yes but if I fail to pay my child support I then get thrown in Jail. I think I will take the lesser of two evils.
That is what you should base your appeal on then. It sounds like there is not much difference in the amount you earn working 40 hours a week and the amount you get for disability and education living expenses allotment. The family court judge has basically ordered you to break the law by continuing to receive full disability payments AND working full time in a position that you have been declared too disabled to work in. It is not within the judges discretion to do that. That is tantamount to the judge saying "since you COULD earn $150K a year selling heroin (or robbing banks or mugging tourists), that is what we will use as your 'income' to set the child support!"

abstract99

ceara19 said:
That is what you should base your appeal on then. It sounds like there is not much difference in the amount you earn working 40 hours a week and the amount you get for disability and education living expenses allotment. The family court judge has basically ordered you to break the law by continuing to receive full disability payments AND working full time in a position that you have been declared too disabled to work in. It is not within the judges discretion to do that. That is tantamount to the judge saying "since you COULD earn $150K a year selling heroin (or robbing banks or mugging tourists), that is what we will use as your 'income' to set the child support!"

The CS WAS based off of the school pay and the disability as well as working. Here is how it was borken down:

$875.00 a month: For 50% Disability for a shattered kneecap during my service in the military. Due to the doctors, messup (leaving a peice of metal in my knee) I had to have my entire kneecap removed. I expect this rating to go up to roughly 75% within the next 5 years.

$775.00 a month: For vocational rehabilitation living allowance while I go back to school. (Chapter 31)

$1,500 a month: For my pay at my previous job.

I have to work right now because my child support is almost 1300. I want the school pay and the disability to be what it is calculated off of, not my work pay so that I can then at least cut back so that I can graduate on time. I also want her to NOT be assigned an income, yes that's right I said NOT. Given the deductions that she would receive for her other children as well as daycare, I actually pay more right now because she was assigned one. I did not request that this be done, she did, which I now realize was for obvious reasons.

ceara19

abstract99 said:
The CS WAS based off of the school pay and the disability as well as working. Here is how it was borken down:

$875.00 a month: For 50% Disability for a shattered kneecap during my service in the military. Due to the doctors, messup (leaving a peice of metal in my knee) I had to have my entire kneecap removed. I expect this rating to go up to roughly 75% within the next 5 years.

$775.00 a month: For vocational rehabilitation living allowance while I go back to school. (Chapter 31)

$1,500 a month: For my pay at my previous job.

I have to work right now because my child support is almost 1300. I want the school pay and the disability to be what it is calculated off of, not my work pay so that I can then at least cut back so that I can graduate on time. I also want her to NOT be assigned an income, yes that's right I said NOT. Given the deductions that she would receive for her other children as well as daycare, I actually pay more right now because she was assigned one. I did not request that this be done, she did, which I now realize was for obvious reasons.
I understand that the judge DID indeed include your previous income. What I'm saying is that the judge was basically ordering you to commit an illegal act by telling you that you HAD to hold a full time job after deciding that your disability benefits, the SAME benefits that you can lose if you continue to work in a position that you have been declared too disabled to do, were income.

The judge contradicted HIMSELF! You are either able to continue working in your prior field OR you are disabled and CAN'T work, thereby, you are eligible to receive disability benefits. It can't be BOTH.

As far as imputing her income, you can contest the amount if it is more then she is ABLE to earn, but I don't think that you can have it set back to $0.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">