• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boyfriend move in with me when I live in a rent-assisted apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m12345pb

Columbus County, North Carolina.

Me and my grandmother( she is physically disabled and a senior), who has custody of me, are moving into a rent assisted apartment. She is on SSI and gets $600.00 a month. I am a minor but my boyfriend has just turned 18 and is having family problems at home. Since he is the legal age to where he can move out, We want him to move in with us, but are not sure if he can because he isn't in our family. We are both still in school and he doesn't have a job..
Also, If we were married, would that make him eligible to move in with us?

m12345pb

I'm 17 so if we were married, would he be allowed to stay? I know I have to have consent from my grandmother, but she agreed to sign any consent forms for us to be, if needed.

DeenaCA

What kind of rental assistance is it? For example, is it public housing, voucher program, tax credit, etc.? I can give you some specific references if you identify the type of assistance or program.

In general, you must get permission from the housing provider/housing authority (depending on the type of assistance) before moving anyone into the assisted unit. This is included in your grandmother's lease terms or family obligations under the program. A violation could result in termination of assistance or eviction for you and your grandmother. Marriage does not create an exception: all occupants must be approved before move-in.

The housing provider might or might not approve your boyfriend as an occupant. He would have to apply, pass criminal background screening and possibly screening for suitability as a renter. The rent would most likely not increase unless your boyfriend has a source of income. The housing provider might question how your grandmother could afford to support an additional adult on her very limited income.

ecmst12

Your grandma is a fool and just asking for great-grandkids before you should be having them. Wait until you are actually a grown-up before you try to have a grown up relationship.

OHRoadwarrior

To expand briefly on what Deena said...

If grandma is eligible for housing due to age/disability and you are permitted as her charge, she is likely not permitted a co-tenant, which is what boyfriend would be. If you married, he would be your spouse and you would be emancipated. You would then both become co-tenants. You can see how this easily becomes convoluted, which is why you need to go to the housing manager.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">