• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my child's half siblings mother get child support money from me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmyTree97

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My ex has a child with me as well as two other children with another woman. We both have child support orders. He has always sent $3000 every month without fail. He however, has not ever sent the other woman any money for their kids. He get's paid under the table and does not have a bank account so she has not able to get her child support order enforced. She only just recently found out that he has been paying me this money. She at first demanded that I give her half and insinuated that she was being generous because she should really be getting 2/3rds since she has two kids and I only have one. When I said no she said she was going to get her lawyer to get her her fair share of the money from me. Would her lawyer be able to do that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex has a child with me as well as two other children with another woman. We both have child support orders. He has always sent $3000 every month without fail. He however, has not ever sent the other woman any money for their kids. He get's paid under the table and does not have a bank account so she has not able to get her child support order enforced. She only just recently found out that he has been paying me this money. She at first demanded that I give her half and insinuated that she was being generous because she should really be getting 2/3rds since she has two kids and I only have one. When I said no she said she was going to get her lawyer to get her her fair share of the money from me. Would her lawyer be able to do that?
No - she's not going to take any money for you (directly). It's entirely possible (and right) that she will get the court order amended so that your ex is appropriately providing for all three kids.

AmyTree97

No - she's not going to take any money for you (directly). It's entirely possible (and right) that she will get the court order amended so that your ex is appropriately providing for all three kids.
Just out of curiosity how would changing the court order change things?

Zigner

Just out of curiosity how would changing the court order change things?
I used the word "amended," which means adding something to the court order and not necessarily changing what's already in the court order. I'm not privy to your court order or the court where this may be heard. Perhaps your ex will see the error in his ways after certain actions are taken by the court to help him understand that the children are entitled to be supported by both parents.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Please don't comment if you do not have legal advice.
I am the only attorney who has responded. You don't get to dictate. I want answers to my questions.Because quite frankly from where I am sitting, I could see a lawsuit against you for conspiracy to defraud his other children.

AmyTree97

I am the only attorney who has responded. You don't get to dictate. I want answers to my questions.Because quite frankly from where I am sitting, I could see a lawsuit against you for conspiracy to defraud his other children.
Given that your comment got removed for not being legal advice I don't think I should listen to you. Please go away.

zddoodah

She at first demanded that I give her half and insinuated that she was being generous because she should really be getting 2/3rds since she has two kids and I only have one. When I said no she said she was going to get her lawyer to get her her fair share of the money from me. Would her lawyer be able to do that?
No.

I used the word "amended," which means adding something to the court order and not necessarily changing what's already in the court order.
To "amend" something means to change or modify it. The change could be an addition or a subtraction or an alteration of what's already there. Frankly, I cannot think of any amendment to either of the two child support orders that might be relevant, unless the father could convince the court(s) that the amount being paid to the OP should be reduced so that he can send money to the mother of his other kids. Of course, that would require the father to seek the modification of the order in favor of the OP and is not something that the mother of the other kids would have standing to do.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Would her lawyer be able to do that?
No. She can't come after child support that your child's father has been ordered to pay you. The other Mom's problem isn't that she needs to get a child support order. From your post she already has one. She just hasn't been able to collect it. It's the person who is ordered to pay the support that must pay it; the court isn't going to enforce her current against anyone else. I don't think she understands the process. You have no obligation to her kids and she can't just reach out to grab some of what you are receiving. She needs to work on getting the order she already has enforced. It's great that your ex is paying the support he owes to you. He should be doing the same for his other kids. If the combined support amounts from both orders is too much for him to be able to pay his living expenses that's something he'd have to go to court to resolve.

After the first kid was born, your ex would have known support is required when he fathers a child. If he didn't want to have an even greater obligation after the first kid then then the logical thing to do is either use effective birth control or simply abstain from sex altogether. But he did have two more children anyway, and he has an obligation to all of them for support.

Zigner

To "amend" something means to change or modify it. The change could be an addition or a subtraction or an alteration of what's already there.
Yes, I don't disagree.
Frankly, I cannot think of any amendment to either of the two child support orders that might be relevant, unless the father could convince the court(s) that the amount being paid to the OP should be reduced so that he can send money to the mother of his other kids. Of course, that would require the father to seek the modification of the order in favor of the OP and is not something that the mother of the other kids would have standing to do.
We don't know what either court order states, nor do we know if the father was ordered to pay $3,000 per month (or some other amount). The mother of the other two kids would not have standing to seek a modification of the OP's order, but she would have standing to seek a modification to her own order. She would also have standing to file a complaint for criminal nonsupport (as would our OP). Depending on how far behind the OP, this could be a misdemeanor or a felony.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-201.html#NRS201Sec020

AmyTree97

Yes, I don't disagree.
We don't know what either court order states, nor do we know if the father was ordered to pay $3,000 per month (or some other amount). The mother of the other two kids would not have standing to seek a modification of the OP's order, but she would have standing to seek a modification to her own order. She would also have standing to file a complaint for criminal nonsupport (as would our OP). Depending on how far behind the OP, this could be a misdemeanor or a felony.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-201.html#NRS201Sec020
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding you. Do you mean a misdemeanor or felony towards me or my ex?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Given that your comment got removed for not being legal advice I don't think I should listen to you. Please go away.
The TL;DR version of what follows is this: take whatever useful information you get regarding your situation and ignore the rest. If you don't engage with trolls or other people who like wreaking havoc on the net your experience will likely be a lot better for you with that approach.

Now for the longer version:

This site is a place for getting general information about the law and how the legal system works. It is not a place to get specific legal advice. For specific to your situation, you need to consult your own family lawyer. In other words, we can help point you in the right direction, but your own lawyer will provide the specific instructions for the route you ought to take.

Some of the people responding here are lawyers, but the majority of them are not. Those that are no lawyers contribute information based on their own experience with similiar problems or who have followed the case of some friend or relative that have gone down that path.

Ohiogal is an attorney who has lots of family law experience. You may not like the tone you perceive in some of her messages, but she can provide some unique insight into family law that the other people here — including attorneys who primarily practice in some other area of law — are unable to give you because they do not know family law in detail.

IMO the best way to use free message board forums like this one is to use the information provided as a starting point to the path you need to go. Ignore anything else that doesn't have something to do with the question asked. We sometimes ge trolls here, as all boards do, whom come in just to stir things up and sit back and watch the others start fighting over something that is really just a distraction from what information you need. The most effective way to deal with a troll is simply to ignore them. Don't give them the attention they seek or the chaos they hope will result. I'm not saying it's always easy to ignore those posts. But I think you'll have a better experience all the way around on sites like this one if you can avoid going after the bait that trolls throw out.

AmyTree97

The TL;DR version of what follows is this: take whatever useful information you get regarding your situation and ignore the rest. If you don't engage with trolls or other people who like wreaking havoc on the net your experience will likely be a lot better for you with that approach.

Now for the longer version:

This site is a place for getting general information about the law and how the legal system works. It is not a place to get specific legal advice. For specific to your situation, you need to consult your own family lawyer. In other words, we can help point you in the right direction, but your own lawyer will provide the specific instructions for the route you ought to take.

Some of the people responding here are lawyers, but the majority of them are not. Those that are no lawyers contribute information based on their own experience with similiar problems or who have followed the case of some friend or relative that have gone down that path.

Ohiogal is an attorney who has lots of family law experience. You may not like the tone you perceive in some of her messages, but she can provide some unique insight into family law that the other people here — including attorneys who primarily practice in some other area of law — are unable to give you because they do not know family law in detail.

IMO the best way to use free message board forums like this one is to use the information provided as a starting point to the path you need to go. Ignore anything else that doesn't have something to do with the question asked. We sometimes ge trolls here, as all boards do, whom come in just to stir things up and sit back and watch the others start fighting over something that is really just a distraction from what information you need. The most effective way to deal with a troll is simply to ignore them. Don't give them the attention they seek or the chaos they hope will result. I'm not saying it's always easy to ignore those posts. But I think you'll have a better experience all the way around on sites like this one if you can avoid going after the bait that trolls throw out.
I understand. Next time I will just report and ignore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">