• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex change child support case to another state just b/c she wants more $$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reqless607

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
I live in Montana and so did my ex until 2 months ago when she up and moved our 3 kids to Missouri. Montana is the state that our current child support order has gone through for the past 6 years. I still reside in Montana, am current and always have been current with the ordered support and medical insurance all while she stays unemployed on purpose. Now that she's moved to Missouri she tells me shes going to get the case switched to that state so I have to pay more because apparently MO takes more for 3 kids. Can she do this? And when we get divorced can the court make her get a job? any job? because its kind of ridiculous that she gets to live off her live in bf while all the kids are of school age now
We arent divorced yet but I am starting the process officially has of the end of this week once I finish paying my lawyer, but until then can anyone give me any info? Im just worried she is going to mess thing up more, as it is Montana child support is dealing with North Dakota, helping me get $2000 back that state took for repayment from me when she committed TANF fraud in that state.
Thanks for any advice

ecmst12

If there is an existing order in MT, then the case will remain there as long as one party still lives there. If she lives in MO for at least 6 months, she can try to have the case moved, but it's not a sure thing that it could be moved.

She may be imputed an income, but no one can MAKE her get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">