• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can probate be avoided? plus proof of residence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrowka

NEW YORK.
I would appreciate any help with two questions I have.

My father passed away recently and left no will. I was trying to educate myself on what we (me and my brother are the only children, our mom passed away few years ago) need to do to settle whatever my father had left. He owned no property and had no debts and the only assets he had were some mutual funds accounts, a savings acount and a couple of IRA accounts. I learned that in NY estate with value under $30,000 does not need to go thru probate. If I total all accounts my father left they come to around $60k but I was told that IRA accounts with named beneficiaries should not be included since they will be inherited directly by the beneficiary. In that case the value of his 'estate' is below $30k. Is the information given to me correct? Can we do the small estate administration instead?

My second question regards proving my father's residency. He was a naturalized US citizen and his legal address was in NY - that's where he rented a room from my in-laws (so no lease and no utility bills in his name) but spent most of his time with us in PA or visiting family in the country of his birth. NY address was where he filed his taxes, got his bank and social security mail and had driver's license. He passed away while visiting family abroad and his death certificate has been issued by the authorities in that country. We had it officially tranlated but when I showed it to the county clerk she told me I will need to prove that he actually resided in NY since we didn't get a US Ambassy to issue or certify the death certificate. We never even thought of that at the time. The clerk was actually quite rude and refused to tell me how I should prove that my father resided in NY. I know it should be in a form of an affidavit but I have no further detail. Could someone let me know how to prove this so it's acceptable in court?

thanks!

Mrowka

Yes, but the clerk mentioned it has to be in a specific format and form - affidavit and I assume notarized. The problem is she refused to give me an example. Just said "you can't just type it up like 'to the court so-and-so'" stating the information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, but the clerk mentioned it has to be in a specific format and form - affidavit and I assume notarized. The problem is she refused to give me an example. Just said "you can't just type it up like 'to the court so-and-so'" stating the information.
That's because the clerk is prohibited by law from offering legal advice/services. It's not "rude", it's the law.

Mrowka

That's not what I meant. I understand she may not be able to give me the information. The way she spoke with me was what I was referring to. But that's really besides the point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's not what I meant. I understand she may not be able to give me the information. The way she spoke with me was what I was referring to. But that's really besides the point.
Courtesy towards the clerks is an extremely important concept. The clerks are what make the wheels go round and you are well advised to make-nice with them.

Mrowka

Well, I will try to be even more polite than I already was when I see them again. Although it was the clerk who actually made me cry there. But, since she is not supposed to give me any "advice", can someone suggest how such affidavit of residence should be written?

anteater

As far as I know, there are no New York attorneys that respond here. And, unfortunately, that is a pretty specific question.

If another "sweetness and smiles" approach to the clerks doesn't work in obtaining an example, all I can suggest is:

1) Do a search with terms like: new york affidavit of domicile And then wing it and see if it is good enough for the court.
2) Consult with a New York attorney and see what it will cost. You might just find one that will provide an example at no cost.

In some states, clerks are helpful with such things, as long as you aren't asking a true legal question. In others, not so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">