• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can tape recordings be used in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

werty

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am a minor and my father is a police officer. Can he record the conversations I have with my friends on the phone. And if he can, can he use the taped conversations against my friends in court without either my of their consent.

H

hexeliebe

Florida is a two-party state, which means that both parties to the conversation (those partaking in the conversation) have to give permission for the taping.

So, although your father is the owner of the telephone, no, he has no right to record the conversations.

But then, why are you worried about him recording the conversations unless you're planning on breaking the law?

Son of Slam

werty said:
I am a minor and my father is a police officer. Can he record the conversations I have with my friends on the phone.

You bet he can, no matter what state you are in. Anyone that tells you different is in the state of confusion. No, he will not use them against you in court, but just try to get a policeman to tell him to stop. No way. They are on his side.
If your father is doing this to you it's because he loves you and is trying to help you.

W

werty

that you for the input and advice and i know my father is looking out for me. But I am not worried about my actions being recorded I am worried about my friends, just because i am a saint doesn't mean my friends are. thank you

B

Boxcarbill

hexeliebe said:
Florida is a two-party state, which means that both parties to the conversation (those partaking in the conversation) have to give permission for the taping.

So, although your father is the owner of the telephone, no, he has no right to record the conversations.

But then, why are you worried about him recording the conversations unless you're planning on breaking the law?
Oh come on, Hex. One doesn't have to be breaking the law to be offended by someone easedropping on our conversations with someone else. We all chose the level of intimacy that we have with others. Just because we are willing disclose something to our best friend does not mean that we are willing to have it publicly disclosed.

And, no, even as a police officer, without the court's authorization for wiretapping or one of the parties consent, he cannot legally record your conversation. Since the wiretapping is illegal, trust me when I say that he will not bring up his illegal activity in a court of law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">