• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they ask this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DRTDEVL

What is the name of your state?Multiple states involved.

Wife was laid off at the close of 2001. While on unemployment, we recieved a questionairre from CSI in Nevada, basically inquiring why her payments had stopped coming from garnishment of her wages.

One of the questions asked MY income... Does it matter? We never returned that form, just continued making payments in hopes of eventually being able to afford an attorney to get the support lowered ($600/mo). Why do they want to know how much I make? She has no income... I am the sole income here.

As harsh as it sounds, I have no rights/responsibilities to these children. If I have no say in the matter, how can my income be factored, especially when she has none? Can my income be used in an eventual hearing to lower the CS payments?

nextwife

So she has been SENDING them the payments because there is no income to garnish and CSE is harassing her about YOUR income? Man, they should be pleased she is continuing to get those payments made without an income..

She should wrote back that she is unemplotyed and, thus, paying out of "other resources". In this circumstance, your income is not material. She IS paying as ordered!

If she is ultimately unable to find employment at the same level, she may be able to file for and be granted a modification.

Last edited:

LdiJ

DRTDEVL said:
What is the name of your state?Multiple states involved.

Wife was laid off at the close of 2001. While on unemployment, we recieved a questionairre from CSI in Nevada, basically inquiring why her payments had stopped coming from garnishment of her wages.

One of the questions asked MY income... Does it matter? We never returned that form, just continued making payments in hopes of eventually being able to afford an attorney to get the support lowered ($600/mo). Why do they want to know how much I make? She has no income... I am the sole income here.

As harsh as it sounds, I have no rights/responsibilities to these children. If I have no say in the matter, how can my income be factored, especially when she has none? Can my income be used in an eventual hearing to lower the CS payments?
Is California one of the states? CA at least does have to take your income into consideration....not because they are using your income to determine child support...but because there are some expenses that factor into the calculation and they need to know your income in order to determine her share of those expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">