• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make her pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state? Indiana Six years ago my sister was a friend to a woman who was physically disabled and was on SSI disability. In the course of things there were many times that the friend was unable to get out and purchase items that she needed or wanted. Her social security was directly deposited to her account and her bills were automatically withdrawn from her account.

After my sister had known her for over a year she started having my sister go to stores and purchase items for her with her credit card. She also decided to have my sister put on her card as a signor. Most of the items were clothing she needed. About three years ago the friend went to live with her elderly mother and that was pretty much the last time my sister seen her except for an occasional phone call.

Anyway last year the friend passed away. All of the sudden the credit card company contacted my sister when the payments stopped and they could not get a hold of the friend. My sister told them that her friend was deceased. That’s when they informed her that she would be responsible for the charges on the card. Some of them my sister signed for and some of them the friend did and my sister said she pretty much figured the items that she purchased when she knew the woman were probably already paid for.

She asked the people at the credit card company why she was being held responsible for items that were purchased for the creditor. Then she also asked them if they could provide her with a copy of all of the purchases made from the time she started helping her friend up to the day she passed away.

Here’s what they said, we are not allowed to send you copies of the purchases. You are not within your rights to have access to that information.

My sister said ok, yet you are going to try to make me pay for items that were not purchased for me.

Can they hold her responsible for an account that did not have her name on it? The bill came in the friend’s name only. She was placed on the card as an authorized user.

moburkes

Your sister KNOWS that, or she THINKS that from 6 years ago?

Doe sshe have a copy of the paperwork that she signed?

elaine60

She herself did not sign anything. The creditor that she was friends with requested a second card for her and she said she had my sisters name put on as a authorized signor.

I myself had to fight a credit card company due to an old boyfriend. I had a credit card with a company in my name. I paid my bill religously. Never was I ever late, in fact I usually paid it off each month.

He applied and received a card from the same company but did not pay it off and did not make the payments. When I had my credit report ran never guess what appeared on my credit report. His card. I called the company and they said it was because I was an authorized user on the account.

I told them NO. 1 I did not agree to be an authorized user. No. 2 I wanted to know how they went about tying my social security number to his account.

Consequently they took his card off of my report but I also cut up my card, paid off my account and canceled my account with their company.

Anyway I know I got off track but no she did not sign any papers.

moburkes

Can your sister ask for verification or validation that the debt belongs to her? It may be a scare tactic? Make sure she checks to see if it has made it to her credit report yet.

elaine60

According to her it is on her credit report. You have to understand that her friend and her were really close and I wonder if somehow she got access to my sisters ss number.
This friend was not always house ridden and was at my sisters several times.

They are refusing to give my sister any documented proof more less stating that she is not entitled to the information. I told her that I though legally by law they have to prove the debt before they can pursue her for it.

justalayman

I would tell the CC company simply this:

If this is my debt, then this had to be my account, or at least a joint account. If this is so, then I have every legal right to any and all info you have. If I am not entitled to the infomation, then apparently I was only an authorized user on the account and as such am not responsible for the debts. Now make up your mind which I am and we'll go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">