• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make me pay back fed taxes from old business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state?
I live in Ohio.
I had an S Corp. until 1994. I closed the company down completely. I believe I paid all my taxes, however, I just got a threatening call from IRS. I know everything is perfect with my personal taxes. There had been questions about some supposedly unpaid bills, BUT I took care of those. I am married. Do not work because of disability. Currently filing for SS disability. Haven't work since 1999. I have NO personal real estate or cars. Everything in husband's name. If I can't pay this, what can the gov't. do to me? Anything to my husband or our house? How about my SSD money coming in spring?

abezon

You're probably judgment proof, since you have no assets. Check on the bankruptcy board to see if your type of income is exempt from garnishment/levy.

The IRS only has 10 years from the date of assessment of extra taxes to collect. They only have 3 years from the due date of the return to assess additional taxes. It may be that the IRS did not assess the additional taxes soon enough, & is barred from collecting already. You can request a statement of account & the date they assessed you if you want to check. The taxpayer advocate's office should be able to help.

Dolly1948

Thanks to Everybody, especially Abezon

;) Thanks so much for answering my question. What a wonderful thing the internet is!
I've posted on other boards and everyone has been great! Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">