• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we both change our names??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

(all humour aside, because this just made me LOL)

You may not find any statutory reference allowing for it simply because there's no statute NOT allowing it. Not to oversimplify things, but in the absence of a law saying you can't do something all too often it becomes a matter of "Well, you can".

(And now I've seriously taken this highjack to places where it probably doesn't need to go... :eek: )
then I guess it's time for a divorce because I want to become Zuul the Gatekeeper of Dozer and live the rest of my life with Tinkerbell the Fairy Princess. At least I can claim to be a demon in bed after that.

Remember the Enumclaw case in my fair state of WA?
this one?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2002382718_horse15m.html

justalayman

STOP making me laugh so hard! :p

Yes, that's the one.

Gave a whole new meaning to the term, "horsing around".
I used to listen to Bob and Tom (that's a humor radio show produced in Indianapolis Indiana. Don't know where it gets played outside of the midwest, if anyplace) and they were talking about it. When I first heard about it, my thoughts were: well sure a mare might kick you if you try to play stallion but then I heard what actually happened and...well, I guess it give new meaning to the term: major league catcher.

and fair warning: do not look for the video.

single317dad

Introducing the newlyweds:

Zuul the Gatekeeper of Gozer and his wife, Tinkerbell the Fairy Princess
The bigger question is: have Zuul and Vinz Clortho been legally divorced? We also need to determine Zuul's true gender, as only a few states would allow what I'm picturing.

IAMZP

I live in Illinois. We were given forms to fill out and take to the SS office. All I've been able to find is how to do it for one of us, but she wants her maiden name back and I want to change to that. Like if a man marries a woman and they both want to hyphenate both of their names.

You Are Guilty

For anyone too cheap (or lazy) to file for a formal name change, just keep in mind there is no state that has a law about how you must pronounce your name.

For example, if my official DL says "John Smith", I am still free to introduce myself (for any non-fraudulent purpose) by saying my name is "John Pretzelbender". When they ask how it's spelled, I can just say "S-m-i-t-h (but the s-m-i-t-h is silent)". Of course, for official documents, you'll still want to get that court order. (Although trying this at the DMV should provide several hours of entertainment).

ecmst12

She probably should have changed her name with her divorce document before entering the union with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">