• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we put abandoned property back on tenant's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swrdmbo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We had some tenant's move out without any notice Feb 6 . They said they were going to get all their stuff out by Feb end, even though they did not pay Feb. rent.

It is now March 7 and they still have not removed any of the stuff.Each room is filled with furniture,junk and trash. They moved right behind this house into a renovated home that has an adjoining yard. When I spoke to her her boyfriend said...that's all junk...we are just leaving it.

Can we legally just take the stuff from our property and put it in their yard and drive? Their deposit was used up for February rent and all this cleaning and hauling will be on us. They both quit their jobs so I do not see being able to get any money out of them any time in the near future.

Since we know it belongs to them would we be within our rights to just take it over to their new place so we don't have to pay the hauling and dump fees?

I can't see anything that applies in the landlord tenant handbook for Ohio.

Thanks for any legal help anyone can provide.

BioHazard

I say send them a big fat bill for disposal. If they just moved into another house they must have some money you can take - and I'd say you are rightly owed some. If they both quit their jobs how do they pay for that house? If their stuff isn't out as of March, then I think they need to pay March rent too...

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We had some tenant's move out without any notice Feb 6 . They said they were going to get all their stuff out by Feb end, even though they did not pay Feb. rent.

It is now March 7 and they still have not removed any of the stuff.Each room is filled with furniture,junk and trash. They moved right behind this house into a renovated home that has an adjoining yard. When I spoke to her her boyfriend said...that's all junk...we are just leaving it.

Can we legally just take the stuff from our property and put it in their yard and drive? Their deposit was used up for February rent and all this cleaning and hauling will be on us. They both quit their jobs so I do not see being able to get any money out of them any time in the near future.

Since we know it belongs to them would we be within our rights to just take it over to their new place so we don't have to pay the hauling and dump fees?

I can't see anything that applies in the landlord tenant handbook for Ohio.

Thanks for any legal help anyone can provide.
Refer to this post , and I'd suggest not just tossing the property .

[U]https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/oh-how-dispose-abandoned-property-393083.html[/U]

swrdmbo

Thanks for the replies...that thread was helpful...but didn't really answer my question. We have an abandonment clause in our lease, and the circumstances have made it clear the conditions have been met(change of utilities, and them giving us zero notice and telling us they had moved).

We also left the trash and abandoned furniture etc in the house for 30 days after the Feb. 6th notice. They also told me they were just leaving it.

My question is can we just carry it over to their new residence? That way we do not have to pay the hauling and dump fees. Plus it would give us a little pleasure to make them have to get rid of all their own crap!

I can go after them for March rent as well, and will, in small claims court,I will get a judgment and NEVER COLLECT a dime! They used their income tax return to move (1st month rent and deposit). She quit her job and is applying for welfare, and disability for her mentally retarded son (56 IQ). That is HER plan. Her new boyfriend works at a convenience store and was not on the lease.

So aggravating.UGH!

BL

Thanks for the replies...that thread was helpful...but didn't really answer my question. We have an abandonment clause in our lease, and the circumstances have made it clear the conditions have been met(change of utilities, and them giving us zero notice and telling us they had moved).

We also left the trash and abandoned furniture etc in the house for 30 days after the Feb. 6th notice. They also told me they were just leaving it.

My question is can we just carry it over to their new residence? That way we do not have to pay the hauling and dump fees. Plus it would give us a little pleasure to make them have to get rid of all their own crap!

I can go after them for March rent as well, and will, in small claims court,I will get a judgment and NEVER COLLECT a dime! They used their income tax return to move (1st month rent and deposit). She quit her job and is applying for welfare, and disability for her mentally retarded son (56 IQ). That is HER plan. Her new boyfriend works at a convenience store and was not on the lease.

So aggravating.UGH!
Their new residence is not their property . You could face charges and fines of your own .

Get rid of it and sue for the expense .

It's part of doing business as a landlord.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">