• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you complete alcohol education in a different country?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state?
CA

This is all just hypothetical.....still waiting on my blood results.

But, if they come back over .08, its gonna be a long process before any verdict is reached (I have a lawyer). My concern is that I am scheduled to start at Oxford University in England (grad school) next September (2009). If I do have to complete alcohol education of any sort, I'm guessing it would overlap with me being in England. I know you are allowed to complete classes in a different state, but what about countries?? I asked my lawyer and he wasn't sure.....said he would have to check into it as the issue has never arised while he's been in practice.

PJ Weber

Can you complete alcohol education in a different country?
I would expect the answer to be a resounding no

Alcohol education is different in many countries, a number do not meet the
US standards

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I concur with the last post..... you can complete your penalties before you go. In some areas, you can start the alcohol and dui type classes before you go before the judge. The classes do fill up, so you'll need to get registered soon.

heyitsme

ajkroy, I knew somebody would say that.

My case is barely beginning to even unravel. We haven't even got the blood results back yet. I plan on fighting it for numerous of reasons - and that can take months, especially if it goes to trial. It may be 7 months from now before a verdict is even reached. That puts me at January of 2009. If it's guilty and I have to do alcohol education, I will only have 5 months left before I leave for England......so if I have to do something like a 6, 12, or 18 month class.....then that wouldn't work.

I know it sounds kind of crazy, but would I be able to enroll myself in a class now and just start taking the classes, even before I find out what my verdict will be? Say I start classes now, and in January of 2009 I am found guilty, will all the classes I've taken from now until January count??

heyitsme

I would expect the answer to be a resounding no

Alcohol education is different in many countries, a number do not meet the
US standards
Well, what if I found one in England that DOES meet US standards? I could see trying to do it in some place like Germany, or Brazil, or China.....I'm sure the guidelines don't quite match up, but England seems like they would have guidlines similar to the US.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

If you complete the alcohol classes now with they count later? That's a good question that your lawyer should answer. In my state, you can take the classes ahead of the verdict and they DO count. I fought my case and lost, but since I got a jump start on the penalties, they were over before the six month probation ended. So happy was my PO that she let me go unsupervised and I just mailed in a check each month.

Check with your lawyer, check with the county probation office. There's an answer somewhere, and you need to make sure it's reliable. If you take the classes and for some reason you prevail, you wasted a little time and money. If you delay the penalties because you want to wait for the verdict, you will not be going to Oxford when you want to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">