• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you show favoritism and pay one creditor but not others during & after chapter 7?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satre51

Can you show favoritism and pay one creditor but not others during & after chapter 7?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

When declaring chapter 7 bankruptcy to get out of debts, is it prohibited to show favoritism to a doctors office (who is owed money without a judgment) by continuing to make payments to their office during and after the bankruptcy filing period?

satre51

Despite what you may suspect, this is a COMPLETELY different situation from my previous thread, and in fact this thread concerns a close friend of mine, whereas my previous thread concerns me and my estranged former renter.

Is there a mandatory waiting period for me to post separate questions in the same subcategory on this forum?

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

When declaring chapter 7 bankruptcy to get out of debts, is it prohibited to show favoritism to a doctors office (who is owed money without a judgment) by continuing to make payments to their office during and after the bankruptcy filing period?
You have a right to prioritize. You can list any debts you want to list during bankruptcy proceedings and you can affirm any debts you want to. For instance, you may want to keep one of several credit cards and let the others get discharged. It is up to you. ;)

satre51

Willlyjo, thanks for your response (by the way I cant figure out why my browser (chrome) does nothing when I click on "reply with quote")

When you say "you can list any debts you want" do I understand you correctly that you can leave the doctors office debt entirely off the list and just continue paying them without letting the trustee know? I thought that all debts had to be listed.

W

Willlyjo

Willlyjo, thanks for your response (by the way I cant figure out why my browser (chrome) does nothing when I click on "reply with quote")

When you say "you can list any debts you want" do I understand you correctly that you can leave the doctors office debt entirely off the list and just continue paying them without letting the trustee know? I thought that all debts had to be listed.
I believe ALL debts should be listed pursuant to the Trustee. However, I believe you can "affirm" the debt owed to the doctor, thus, allowing you to continue your relationship with the doctor, which could dissolve if you get that debt discharged.

satre51

How is that (choosing which debts you want to affirm) not considered favoritism? What kind of favoritism is prohibited by bankruptcy code?

I read that the trustee can recover from a creditor payments made shortly before the bankruptcy filing where the payment gave the creditor more than other, similarly situated, creditors would get through the bankruptcy process.

How would the trustee be able to do that if the creditor spent the money and doesn't have it anymore?

bigun

Payments of $600 or more to an unsecured creditor within 90 days of filing are a preference issue and the trustee is within their rights to sue the person you paid for the return of the money.
Post bk, your financial affairs are your own business and you may repay anyone you please.

satre51

Wow...I wonder how often that happens (creditors being sued for money received before a bankruptcy). I guess I need to put a 90 day hold on any money my renters pays me in case they declare bankruptcy.

I mean how is a creditor supposed to know if a bankruptcy is going to happen and force them to repay what they thought was theirs?

Are some types of payments exempt from this kind of recovery action? Rent or utility bills for example?

You can voluntarily pay any creditor you want to pay after you file your case. If you pay $600.00 or more to an unsecured creditor (doctor is unsecured) within the 90 days prior to filing, the Chapter 7 Trustee can ask the creditor to return the money to the bk estate.

Edt to answer your preference inquiry - Trustees seek to recover such payments all the time as it puts $$ into their pockets. Recovery of rents are not part of the preference issue since rentals are subject to 11 USC 365 (executory contracts/unexpired leases). As to the impact on the creditor - such is the cost of doing business.

Edt again - Oh, one more thing. Utilities are not an “antecedent” debt unless you are paying on a delinquent account. As a result payments are not preferential and not subject to recovery by a trustee.

Des.

Last edited:

satre51

Thanks for your reply. Ok so current rent as well as utilities are not subject to recovery since they are not antecedent. But past due late rent/utilitie bills are...and the trustee gets to determine how late the rent can be before it is recoverable antecedent debt?

Ok so current rent as well as utilities are not subject to recovery since they are not antecedent. But past due late rent/utilitie bills are...and the trustee gets to determine how late the rent can be before it is recoverable antecedent debt?

This is an interesting question so let’s look at the issues - mind you I have not researched this so my comments are from my understanding of the Code.

Scenario 1:

1. You are 3 payments behind in rent and owe the landlord $1,500.00;
2. Landlord likes you and does not want to evict so landlord has not terminated the lease;
3. One month before you file you get a tax refund and now have the ability to pay the landlord the full $1,500.00 plus the current rent of $500.00. You do that and are now current under the terms of the lease.

Can a trustee recover the $1,500.00? I do not think so since the lease was never terminated. All you did was bring payments current on an unexpired lease. The landlord did not receive more than he would have received if the case had already been filed and the transfer had not been made. Since this is a lease, the lease can be assumed or rejected under 11 USC 365. The Trustee cannot assume the lease until the default is cured or adequate assurances of future performance are given. While a Trustee is unlikely to assume a residential lease as the lessor, the fact that he could tells me that the payments are not recoverable.

Now, look at a different scenario:

1. You are 3 payments behind in rent and owe the landlord $1,500.00;
2. Landlord wants you out, terminates the lease and begins the process of eviction;
3. You are evicted;
4. You receive a tax refund and now can pay the landlord;
5. You cut a deal with the landlord that he will allow you to enter into a new lease if you pay him “damages” for the breach of the old lease. You pay him $1,500.00;
6. A month later you file bk.

I think the Trustee can recover the $$ since the lease had been terminated. At that point the rent owed was an antecedent debt. Now, if the landlord reinstated the old lease - maybe we would be back to the first scenario.

This would be a similar issue with back utilities. If the service had been terminated the payment would be for an antecedent debt. If the service was not terminated then I believe it would not. Further, utilities have special protection under the Code. While they cannot demand payment for past due amounts once the case is filed they can demand adequate assurance for future performance and such assurance must be made by the trustee or the debtor within 20 days of filing.

Again, just my spin on this. Hope it made sense.

Des.

satre51

Very thorough and clarifying reply, thanks.

So as I understand it, any debts that the debtor does not list due to forgetfulness is not discharged, correct?

So as I understand it, any debts that the debtor does not list due to forgetfulness is not discharged, correct?
No, not correct. In the context of a Chapter 7, an omitted creditor, who has no knowledge of the bk, IS discharged unless the Chapter 7 was an “asset” case or that creditor could assert some sort of fraud by the debtor. See 11 USC 523(a)(3).

Des.

satre51

Ohhh...sounds like a debtor could conveniently forget to list a bunch of creditors and still be off the hook with them? Ok....thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">