• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

canadians living in US - can I get a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlywrites

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am married to a fellow Canadian. We live in Texas. Permanent residency cards have been applied for. I can't get a divorce now because if I do I have to leave the US, and my work permit will be revoked. But once I have permanent residency, can I get a divorce and remain in the US?

seniorjudge

kimberlywrites said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I am married to a fellow Canadian. We live in Texas. Permanent residency cards have been applied for. I can't get a divorce now because if I do I have to leave the US, and my work permit will be revoked. But once I have permanent residency, can I get a divorce and remain in the US?
Once you are a resident of whatever state you are in, you are able to get a divorce in that state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">