• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Candadian/U.S. divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystallineiris

What is tI live in Canada,my husband left me in a mountain of debt a year and a half ago unexpectedly,i lost my house and had to file for bankruptcy
We were married in Virginia,and i discovered he took the marriage certificate wih him as well
I heard he has lived in Texas for a while and now is in New York City
He recently sent me forms for a divorce from Texas asking that i sign the paperwork and release him from all joint debt so he can move on with his life
I have consulted a lawyer in Canada,was told it would be in my best interest to seek a lawyer in the U.S.
I did,a divorce lawyer from Houston area
He too told me i would be best too find a Canadian lawyer
My credit is ruined,and I'll add that when he left he sold as much of our belongings for the cash to move back to the states(I am a long distance truck driver so am away from home a lot,sometimes weeks at a time)
When I came home to find all of our appliances gone,all of his carpentry tools packed up,he told me he was leaving for a few months,had a job lined up and would be sending me money to help with the bills
I was in shock for a long time he has never sent any money,pretty much dissapeared for almost a year,and now he wants to move on with his life
I want the divorce,but i feel he owes me something for the debt he left behind that i have had to deal with

Please,if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">