• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t figure this out - home inspections every year?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JEA0409

State is IL. My daughter has made comments several times over that years that they had to clean their apt because they had to be ready for an inspection. i Never know who's doing the inspection or why. They are on section 8….does section 8 mandate routine inspections to make sure renters are keeping things clean and in order? my ex is a cleaning freak, so her place is never dirty. If it’s not Section 8 what could it be?

adjusterjack

The question is best asked by calling the city and asking. Really doesn't matter if it's the city or the landlord requiring the inspection. A landlord should inspect periodically anyway. He'd be a fool not to.

When I had my rentals I picked up the rent every month and it gave me the opportunity to check things out.

Just Blue

State is IL. My daughter has made comments several times over that years that they had to clean their apt because they had to be ready for an inspection. i Never know who's doing the inspection or why. They are on section 8….does section 8 mandate routine inspections to make sure renters are keeping things clean and in order? my ex is a cleaning freak, so her place is never dirty. If it’s not Section 8 what could it be?
Section 8 does yearly inspections both to make sure the tenant is keeping the home/apartment in order and that the LL isn't neglecting the property. . And, truly, it really isn't your business.

adjusterjack

Not fair, Blue. OP's daughter addressed comments to him/her about the inspections.

If your kids (when they are adults) come to you with those kinds of questions, wouldn't it be your business?

My daughter is 50 and any issues she came to me with would certainly be my business.

:p

Just Blue

Not fair, Blue. OP's daughter addressed comments to him/her about the inspections.

If your kids (when they are adults) come to you with those kinds of questions, wouldn't it be your business?

My daughter is 50 and any issues she came to me with would certainly be my business.

I misread the post I guess...I read it as the OP wanted to know about S8 and inspections.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I read it as OP's minor child mentioning this to him (given this is in Custody and Visitation). And his confusion as his ex is a clean freak. Who knows - maybe kiddo is more on the messy side, and Mom is using "an inspection" to get kiddo to clean up. But, really - not Dad's business.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Since this is under child custody, I am going to guess the daughter is a child. And it is none of his business who is doing the inspections.

ETA: And what Stealth said at the same time.

adjusterjack

Didn't notice the forum. I'll buy that ex and child have a Section 8 supported apartment that's inspected annually.

Child came to Dad with her comments. That makes it his business to learn what he can so he can explain it to his child.

You'd rather him say "Sorry kid, not my business, go ask your mother."

(n)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Didn't notice the forum. I'll buy that ex and child have a Section 8 supported apartment that's inspected annually.

Child came to Dad with her comments. That makes it his business to learn what he can so he can explain it to his child.

(n)
I'd likely leave it at "Huh. Okay. Well, are you helping by keeping your room clean, not leaving dirty dishes in the LR and stuff?"

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

(n)
Depending on the age of the daughter, it is not really the daughter's business.

zddoodah

i Never know who's doing the inspection or why.
When she has commented about this "several times over [the] years," do you just shrug and say, "oh"? You haven't ever responded, "inspected by whom? And why?"

does section 8 mandate routine inspections to make sure renters are keeping things clean and in order?
Yes.

If it’s not Section 8 what could it be?
In addition to the Section 8 inspections, it "could be" any of dozens and dozens of things. Rather than ask a bunch of total strangers what it "could be," if you're curious, ask your daughter what it actually is.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In addition to the Section 8 inspections, it "could be" any of dozens and dozens of things. Rather than ask a bunch of total strangers what it "could be," if you're curious, ask your daughter what it actually is.
If his daughter is a younger minor, then he should ask mom (politely), with the understanding that mom doesn't have to even respond to the question.

Dad ought to see this as a good thing. Unless the daughter's living conditions are so poor that he needs to go to court to request a modification of custody or involve CPS, the cleanliness inside the other parent's house is none of his business. The yearly inspection should give him comfort that minimum standards are being met.

zddoodah

If his daughter is a younger minor, then he should ask mom (politely), with the understanding that mom doesn't have to even respond to the question.
I have to wonder why people are assuming that the OP is the daughter's father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">