• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

capital gains

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrustUser

What is the name of your state?california i have never actually had to pay capital gains tax up to now. my understanding is the following. if i have a long-term gain of 100,000, and the capital tax rate is 10%, then $10,000 is added to my ordinary income for the year. and i then simply compute my income tax the same way, with that $10,000 as a source of income, just like any other source of income. is this correct ?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?california i have never actually had to pay capital gains tax up to now. my understanding is the following. if i have a long-term gain of 100,000, and the capital tax rate is 10%, then $10,000 is added to my ordinary income for the year. and i then simply compute my income tax the same way, with that $10,000 as a source of income, just like any other source of income. is this correct ?
No, that is not how it works at all.

The addition to your income is $100,000 not $10,000 but that additional income is taxed at the capital gains tax rate, which is most likely to be 15%, (it could be higher or lower) You would pay $15,000 in TAX plus whatever tax there would be on the rest of your income. That is federal tax. You would also owe state tax on the same income.

TrustUser

so my normal tax stays the same, with its various layers. and then i add the 15,000 to it ? it would be clearer to me if the 2 incomes were separated. 15% on the capital gains. and then whatever the rest of the income would be. is it generally advantagesous to split the capital gains between 2 years, when possible ?

FlyingRon

Yes, the regular tax is the same, but the capital gains tax varies based on your total income WHICH INCLUDES the capital gain. So if you have a $100,000 capital gain, even if you had no other income, you're in the 15% long term capital gain bracket.

adjusterjack

Your regular tax may also increase if your capital gain puts you in a higher tax bracket when added to your regular income. Depends on how much your regular income is, what tax bracket you are already in, and how close you are to the next tax bracket..

TrustUser

thanks adj, i will still end up with a sizeable gain - but i guess that is infinitely better than a sizeable loss

davew9128

Your regular tax may also increase if your capital gain puts you in a higher tax bracket when added to your regular income. Depends on how much your regular income is, what tax bracket you are already in, and how close you are to the next tax bracket..
This is completely false.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">