• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Hits My House.....Totalled???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g888642

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KY

I had a person hit my house doing approximately 60 miles per hour.....It did extensive damage.....It is an older house that we had just started remodelling.....It moved the main bearing wall and our bed with us in it 2-3".....It busted sheet rock everywhere....I received correspondence from the insurance co that they wanted to get someone to appraise my house......The house has been in my family for many years and before the damages was not worth a lot.....As stated earlier we have spent about 10k on remodeling and was gonna do more.....It has limestone rock siding which is worrying them beacause it is vvveeerrryyy expensive to get re-done.....Can they just get it appraised for 30 or 40k and say thats it......Or can I say I have 1200 or 1300 sq. ft and its gonna cost 80. 90. 100, $ a sq. to replace....I will also have to dispose of the house which want be cheap......Oh for what its worth he passed out from alcohol intoxication and hit it........Thanks for any replies.....

rmet4nzkx

g888642 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KY

I had a person hit my house doing approximately 60 miles per hour.....It did extensive damage.....It is an older house that we had just started remodelling.....It moved the main bearing wall and our bed with us in it 2-3".....It busted sheet rock everywhere....I received correspondence from the insurance co that they wanted to get someone to appraise my house......The house has been in my family for many years and before the damages was not worth a lot.....As stated earlier we have spent about 10k on remodeling and was gonna do more.....It has limestone rock siding which is worrying them beacause it is vvveeerrryyy expensive to get re-done.....Can they just get it appraised for 30 or 40k and say thats it......Or can I say I have 1200 or 1300 sq. ft and its gonna cost 80. 90. 100, $ a sq. to replace....I will also have to dispose of the house which want be cheap......Oh for what its worth he passed out from alcohol intoxication and hit it........Thanks for any replies.....
Baadd house
:eek: Jumping out in front of that poor drunken driver :(
If it is an independent appraiser it should be a fair value, what has your insurance company said? What happened to the driver?
You might want to get an estimation on your own so you can evaluate their offer, also have your receipts ready to prove any improvements.
Sorry for the humor, I couldn't help it, I can just imagine it , as his excuse and that he wasn't to drunk to drive......

g888642

helicoptered out from local hospital because of brain swelling.....50/60 stitches to sew up head......3 broke ribs / leg broke in two places.....did a good job......

My insurance co has been quiet.........The other persons isurance co. had a structural engineer look at it and I have not received a report on it..... Probably won't.........I just wondered if they have to give me replacement value on square footage???? I can see a lawyer in my future......

LdiJ

g888642 said:
helicoptered out from local hospital because of brain swelling.....50/60 stitches to sew up head......3 broke ribs / leg broke in two places.....did a good job......

My insurance co has been quiet.........The other persons isurance co. had a structural engineer look at it and I have not received a report on it..... Probably won't.........I just wondered if they have to give me replacement value on square footage???? I can see a lawyer in my future......
Your biggest problem is that his liability insurance may not have high enough limits to cover the value of a house. Your homeowners policy may end up having to kick in. If that's the case then your insurance company will hire an attorney to go after the driver. You won't have to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">