• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car insurance cancelled..WHY!?!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianejanay66

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have maintained a great driving record with no tickets or accidents for years. I have also kept car insurance consistently for years. :( Here is my issue...I let my son borrow my car and he was involved in an accident with no injuries. My son has not lived with me for years yet the insurance company cancelled my policy back to 7-06 because he wasn't listed as a resident driver and/or driver on the policy. I was told I will recieve a refund for my premiums paid. Now to any other Ins. co. it will look like I didn't have car ins for a period of time which causes me to pay a higher premium. What should I do, if anything?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Obviously they think you gave them false information about him living in your household. You will have to call and speak to the underwriting department to find out if there is a way you can appeal their decision.

dianejanay66

More information

I forgot to mention earlier that I had a recorded interview with the adjuster before the policy was cancelled. I made it very clear that my son did not live with me and this could be proved with tax records and utilities. The adjuster said that shouldn't be an issue and then I am cancelled...

dianejanay66

My son does not have a car so he has no insuranse. He moved in with friends that he works with. The job is very close and the friends have cars so they carpool or walk.

CraigFL

So the next question is... Does he have a valid driver's license?

And you need to clarify if you deduct your son as a dependant on your tax return.

dianejanay66

My son does have a valid drivers license. No, I do not claim him as a dependent on my tax form. I haven't claimed him for a couple few years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">