• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car rental says I damaged their car (I didn't), sent me to collections. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eplay1956

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I rented car, car had damage, asked the rental agent to notate, agent refused, saying he "knows it's there", I persisted, agent wrote notation. Returning car, receiving rental agent pointed to damage. Notation says underbody damage, but doesn't note "exactly" the part they are trying to hold me liable for, they say it doesn't apply and that I damaged it... :eek: Car rental agency sent letters saying I must pay $1,100 for damage, I wrote back saying I did not damage vehicle, and I am being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous rental agent.

1. Can they hit credit report with "unpaid debt"? Or is it only for credit card type things where they have your SS#?
2. Now that it has been sent to collections, what should I do?

Showed pics of damage to reputable bodyshop, who said if more than $300-$400 to repair, they are scamming! :mad:

Last edited:

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I rented car, car had damage, asked the rental agent to notate, agent refused, saying he "knows it's there", I persisted, agent wrote notation. Returning car, receiving rental agent pointed to damage. Notation says underbody damage, but doesn't note "exactly" the part they are trying to hold me liable for, they say it doesn't apply and that I damaged it... :eek: Car rental agency sent letters saying I must pay $1,100 for damage, I wrote back saying I did not damage vehicle, and I am being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous rental agent.

1. Can they hit credit report with "unpaid debt"? Or is it only for credit card type things where they have your SS#?
2. Now that it has been sent to collections, what should I do?

Showed pics of damage to reputable bodyshop, who said if more than $300-$400 to repair, they are scamming! :mad:
Yes, it can hit your credit report (they have either your credit or debit card, and presumably your driver's license, correct?)

Your "reputable" bodyshop: Did they take into account that car rental companies usually do not use any aftermarket parts, and require that the repair shops utilize whatever is necessary to return to car as close to "new" as possible? Furthermore, a picture may not show the extent of the damage.
Rental car companies need to: 1) to keep any warranty on the car valid, MUST use specific parts and shops, and 2), preserve the resale value of the car, use higher quality (more expensive) repair parts.
The average citizen/person can live with a scratched bumper that is replaced w/ a "second hand" bumper, or a windshield that was pulled from another vehicle--Rental Car companies can not.

As far as what you can do: Don't talk to the accounting people about the vehicle, contact the regional Group Risk Mgr. Your local branch and accounting folks really have no authority to negotiate about these sort of things.

davew128

Why should OP negotiate anything? If the car had preexisting damage and it was properly noted at the time of rental, then unless the rental company can prove it was additional damage, they can pound sand.

Ladyback1

Why should OP negotiate anything? If the car had preexisting damage and it was properly noted at the time of rental, then unless the rental company can prove it was additional damage, they can pound sand.
It wasn't properly notated.

And the local service agents, accountants/collection people, have NO AUTHORITY to fix this problem now.

davew128

It wasn't properly notated.
I rented car, car had damage, asked the rental agent to notate, agent refused, saying he "knows it's there", I persisted, agent wrote notation.
And the local service agents, accountants/collection people, have NO AUTHORITY to fix this problem now.
no, but the chain itself does. Stuff like this doesn't make them look good, you'd think they'd discuss it before sending off collection letters. That said, this is the type of thing that gets the attention of tv station consumer advocates.

fletcherrhoden

Rental companies almost always do a walk-around with a rental car and their clients before the car goes out and when it comes back -- any visible damage is notated on small car diagrams. If they didn't do this, or didn't keep their copy of these forms, then they've got nothing, I'd say. If they do, and there's some notated damage, they've got you. I'd contact your credit card company and tell them you're disputing any charges, likewise you should contact the bit 3 credit agencies and explain those collection now, since they're already on your record. As for the collection agencies themselves, there's an excellent way to handle them -- nicely. Don't be weak, of course, but don't be furious either, they're expecting a fight. So tell 'em you're all on the same side and, if you think you have to, offer to settle with them. Nobody ever thinks to offer a collection agency half of what they're asking, but it's cheaper for them to take that than to waste 2 years never getting anything.

davew128

Rental companies almost always do a walk-around with a rental car and their clients before the car goes out and when it comes back
Not when you get it from an airport location.

-- any visible damage is notated on small car diagrams. If they didn't do this, or didn't keep their copy of these forms, then they've got nothing, I'd say. If they do, and there's some notated damage, they've got you.
Did you bother to read the original post? Yes they did note it.

I'd contact your credit card company and tell them you're disputing any charges
What charges would those be?

likewise you should contact the bit 3 credit agencies and explain those collection now, since they're already on your record.
You know they're on his credit report? Does HE know they're on his credit report?

As for the collection agencies themselves, there's an excellent way to handle them -- nicely. Don't be weak, of course, but don't be furious either, they're expecting a fight. So tell 'em you're all on the same side and, if you think you have to, offer to settle with them. Nobody ever thinks to offer a collection agency half of what they're asking, but it's cheaper for them to take that than to waste 2 years never getting anything.
Yes, I agree. You didn't think. Didn't read either.

Eplay1956

I'd contact your credit card company and tell them you're disputing any charges, likewise you should contact the bit 3 credit agencies and explain those collection now, since they're already on your record.
This is not a credit card account, I wasn't "late" on any payments or bills or with any accounts, I am instead in a dispute with a car rental company about the where these damages came from.

So if ANY business sends you to collections, the collections agency can go ahead and put it on your credit report?? :eek: I didn't know collections agencies had that power.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is not a credit card account, I wasn't "late" on any payments or bills or with any accounts, I am instead in a dispute with a car rental company about the where these damages came from.
Feel free to ignore fletcherrhoden.

So if ANY business sends you to collections, the collections agency can go ahead and put it on your credit report?? :eek: I didn't know collections agencies had that power.
It's in the contract you agreed to with the rental company.

Eplay1956

Just checked my credit, nothing in there about this.

Tell them to sue you.
Ironically, I did. That was the first thing I said. They wouldn't do it. They just sent it to collections.

My main concern right now is the credit reporting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">