• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car totaled, no insurance CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

Sounds like the OP owns the car. Depending how long it has been since the accident and how long after the purchase of the car the accident happened, the OP's insurance may be on the hook.

justalayman

Sounds like the OP owns the car. Depending how long it has been since the accident and how long after the purchase of the car the accident happened, the OP's insurance may be on the hook.
and why would that be? You do not get automatic coverage when buying a vehicle. It appears OP never even contacted their insurance so OP's insurance has no liability here.

ecmst12

You are on the hook for the money and it's quite likely for the license suspension as well. CA does NOT mess around when it comes to uninsured vehicles.

ecmst12

Um that entire post is crap.

Bill Gates can self-insure. He can post a large bond with the state that will protect anyone he causes an accident with. But it's more cost effective for him to buy insurance, since he has a LOT more to lose in case of an accident. Chances are, you can't post that bond and it's not any less cost effective for YOU to insure your vehicles then it would be to pay out of pocket for any accidents you cause.

And I already provided the CORRECT answers to OP's questions.

muenchen

Just looking at the SR1 form online that he needs to fill out. It asks for insurance info AT TIME OF ACCIDENT. I really don't know what to advice him. If he puts in the insurance info which he got on that day (but a few hours after the accident), then he could be in trouble if DMV finds out he was not covered until 2 hours after accident. If he leaves it blank or does not send in the SR1 form - then he will loose his license.
Do you think DMV will check on exact time, or send this SR1 form to his insurance to inquire if he was insured at exact hour of accident? If someone knows, please reply. The form was supposed to be sent in 3 weeks ago, and he is late already. but there is a police report without ticket so DMV will find out anyways, right?

muenchen

I am all for consequences to learn in life, and also for being honest. But he is a full time student, full time work and on way to become a dad with 19 - just lots of stuff - and he lost his nice car, still needs to make payments, and I know him - he wanted to get that insurance, look into quotes etc. but just didn't prioritize (he had car before with insurance). So I think he had consequences. Loosing a license for a year will change his life, so I am just trying to see what is the best way so he won't loose the license. If he puts the insurance info on that form, can he get into even more trouble?? He didn't file a claim with the insurance, so he is not trying to fraud the insurance company. Please someone help if you know the answers

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Does this form have anything that has to be signed along with an advisory about making false statements?

Bottom line is that there was no insurance in effect at the time of the accident. If he lies on the form and the DMV cross checks the information with the insurance company he could end up in alot more trouble.

Please ignore "boboconnor" - we keep getting rid of him and he keeps re-appearing under a different alias. He is know for providing totally incorrect information.

davew128

I am all for consequences to learn in life, and also for being honest.
But he is a full time student, full time work and on way to become a dad with 19 - just lots of stuff - and he lost his nice car, still needs to make payments, and I know him - he wanted to get that insurance, look into quotes etc. but just didn't prioritize (he had car before with insurance). So I think he had consequences. Loosing a license for a year will change his life, so I am just trying to see what is the best way so he won't loose the license.
Tell me how these two statements aren't contradictory and you're not full of it.

ecmst12

There isn't any way around it. Like I said, CA does NOT mess around with uninsured motorists. The lesson he needs to learn is that he should not be on the road for EVEN A MINUTE without insurance. Ever.

He may be able to apply for a work license. But he has to fill out the form truthfully - they are going to find out one way or the other and it will be easier on him if he is honest about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">