• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashing a large check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2901bruce

What is the name of your state? California

I received a large check for the sale of a home. I do not have a personal bank
acct, so I will negotiate it at the issuers bank. I had a creditor levy my account in the
past for a debt, so will not be opening a personal savings or checking account and
depositing it, for the time being.

What do you recommend? Convert check to AMEX Cashier's checks? A living Trust ??What is the name of your state?

JETX

2901bruce said:
What do you recommend?
I recommend you pay your bills... so that you won't have to worry about your checking account getting seized by judgment owners.

Convert check to AMEX Cashier's checks? A living Trust ??
Convert into cash. Then, go walk through your community 'project housing' announcing you have a lot of cash in your pocket.

justalayman

ecmst12 said:
There must be other reasons that someone wouldn't have a bank account...
I am guessing from the OP statements that there is still a judgement outstanding and he is trying to avoid paying it.

ecmst12

Oh yeah...it was early.

If he sold a house, shouldn't there be more then enough money to pay off just about any debt though? Seems like a lot of trouble to go to in order to avoid a bill you can well afford to pay.

justalayman

That is why I stated "avoid" paying.

Without being judgemental about the OP, many folks feel they are in the right even when a court tells them they are not and wil go to great lengths to avoid fulfilling a court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">