• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught Shoplifting and i'm not sure what to expect! please help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nmh345

I live in Indiana and i'm 19 years old. i was caught stealing 68$ worth of stuff from kohl's. I already paid the $100 fine for the civil claim and i was just summoned to court 2 weeks from now for a conversion charge. I have no idea what to expect but this is my first offense, not even a speeding ticket to speak of. I'm really worried and not sure what to do, please help.

Antigone*

I live in Indiana and i'm 19 years old. i was caught stealing 68$ worth of stuff from kohl's. I already paid the $100 fine for the civil claim and i was just summoned to court 2 weeks from now for a conversion charge. I have no idea what to expect but this is my first offense, not even a speeding ticket to speak of. I'm really worried and not sure what to do, please help.
My suggestion to you is to hire a criminal attorney. That is about as much help as we can offer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Agreed. You need an attorney. You can expect that you will never be allowed in Kohl's again. You will also find that you will be refused certain types of employment since you are a thief. Most misdemeanors could result in jail time though many times it is probation (go and sin no more) and fines. Oh and you may find other issues such as not being able to get licenses for certain careers, hold certain positions in school or life (may not be able to get bonded). In other words, your stupid, impulsive act of stealing may have far reaching consequences -- more so than just criminal penalties.

Indiana Filer

Since the prosecutor is charging you with Conversion, you're getting a break. Conversion is a class A misdemeanor. They could have charged you with theft as a class D felony. Most likely, if you plead guilty or are found to have committed this offense, you'll be placed on probation and have to do community service work. In my county, your community service work would consist of picking up trash alongside the highway. With probation, you'll be subject to drug screens, home visits, and whatever else the Court orders. If they think you need it, you'll do substance abuse counseling, interactive journaling, whatever. It's all going to depend on the results of the IRAS--the IN assessment tool we use to figure out risk areas for criminals.

As the others said, you're going to find out there are long-reaching consequences to being a criminal.

kittykat0953

same situation. almost

hi, I'm in a kind of similar situation. I'm 20. got shoplifting from Wal-Mart last week. there where no police involved. guy just said I'd be getting a fine and if I didn't pay if have a warrant. second time if go to jail. what was the situation with u if u don't mind. was the police called on your case. our what happened. would really appreciate it. I'm really worried. I'm still waiting through the mail. I had les than 20 of merchandise. I'm really scared.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
hi, I'm in a kind of similar situation. I'm 20. got shoplifting from Wal-Mart last week. there where no police involved. guy just said I'd be getting a fine and if I didn't pay if have a warrant. second time if go to jail. what was the situation with u if u don't mind. was the police called on your case. our what happened. would really appreciate it. I'm really worried. I'm still waiting through the mail. I had les than 20 of merchandise. I'm really scared.
You should be scared. You had less than 20 in merchandise but why did you even think you were entitled to that? You stole. Just because the police weren't called out doesn't mean that you won't end up charged criminally. You, quite frankly, should be charged and prosecuted. Again, being a thief has consequences beyond criminal penalties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">