• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CC problem take me to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state? I live in Ohio. You've helped me in the past now I REALLY need advice. I'm married and recently disabled getting SSI checks. We have a house but my name isn't on it and I don't own any property at all. I haven't paid on my 3 credit cards in over 3 years. One of the card's law firm has filed papers with my municipal court for me to appear. What do I do? Can they come after my husband? I have nothing in my name except my SSI check. Do I have to show up? It is difficult for me to walk and it would be hard for me to go to thte courthouse. Should I call their attorney? I've never talked to them in those 3 years. Help? :)

zippysgoddess

If you don't go on your courtdate, they will simply get a default judgment against you, this goes on your credit report, and remains in effect for a long time. However, if you have no assets, and your name isn't on the house, then you don't have a lot to worry about as SSI can't be garnished for debts. If you have a joint bank account, they can take that, and you would play hell to prove that it is your DH's money, and your portion of the money is only from SSI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">