• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CC problems--Lein against house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state? Ohio. I asked a previous question about going to court for non-payment of a cc--haven't paid on it in 3 years--amount is $818.00 and I got papers to appear in muni court. My name is not on our house in any way and I do not own a car. I get SSI check monthly. but joint checking account with husband. Talk to friend who said the house could have a lien on it because it is martial property. True? How about checking account? It's where I deposit my SSI check.

seniorjudge

Q: Talk to friend who said the house could have a lien on it because it is martial property. True?

A: No, not unless you have real estate in a community property state.

zippysgoddess

Yes on the checking account. When they get the judgment, they can freeze the account, and take the money that is in there, it would then be your burden to prove the only money you have going into it is your SSI, and the rest is your husband's, this of course creates a great fight to get your money back, as they are unwilling to return it once they get their hands on it.

Your smartest move would be to take your name off that account ASAP!

Tiffan2388

Similiar

I went to court on behalf of my mom. I am her power of attorney because a creditor took her money from her account. But she collects SSI and by law the creditor was required to gove it back. The attorney tried to act like I didn't tell her that before they took the monies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">