• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing terms on pets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariastar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The other issue we are having with out complex is they just decided to raise the pet rent to $100 per animal when the cost in the lease is $50 per unit with animals, a jump of $350 per month for us. Are apartment complexes allowed to change the terms of the lease for this too? Can they really make us pay another $350 when our lease specifically states $50? That's going to eat away at the money were have been working to set aside so we can move.

It's not just us. They're doing this for all units. Needless to say, a lot of people here can't afford it, so will either resort to claiming animals are gone or having to take them to shelters.

xylene

It's not just us. They're doing this for all units. Needless to say, a lot of people here can't afford it, so will either resort to claiming animals are gone or having to take them to shelters.
OR -

Resort to standing your grounds on your lease terms.

Don't pay the increased amount.

If they sue you, you will win.

ariastar

OR -

Resort to standing your grounds on your lease terms.

Don't pay the increased amount.

If they sue you, you will win.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm getting pretty pissed at them trying to change lease terms this week. If we sign a contract stating one thing, it does seem wrong to try to enforce another. As if they aren't having a hard enough time keeping people here as it is right now....

dolebot

You mentioned in the other post you were 9 months into a 12 month lease right?

Your rent amount and any pet stuff is on the lease. Unless there exists a clause or addendum that provides an avenue to change it, such as:

"xxx landlord reserves the right to change the terms of this lease without notice" or "pet rent is negotiable every month", I don't see how. REad that document and all addendums VERY carefully.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I would pay the rent as it states on my lease if I were in your shoes.

Perhaps the building was sold, and the new owner voided the leases?

xylene

Perhaps the building was sold, and the new owner voided the leases?
Oh yeah how did that happen dolebot?

In Cali, as in every state I am familiar with the lease cannot be voided by change of ownership in a sale...

dolebot

OIC.

I retract that statement. Thought I knew something about condos here, I dont.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Perhaps the building was sold, and the new owners THOUGHT they could void the lease.

At any rate, your lease expires in 3 months and at THAT time, they can change the terms. You'd better prepare to move at the end of your lease (make sure you give proper written notice!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">