• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Trustee on portion of Trust assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stillfat

The trustee is the trustee. If more than one, both are responsible for trust actions. I know of no way to have another person be in charge of a portion of the trusts assets. Now, the trustee can delegate the power to another, but will always hold the responsibility.

Tranquility

How would the trustee delegate the power to another -- there is no problem with letting her hold the responsibility?

anteater

The financial planning firm wouldn't do anything but offer advice. They have agreed that the best place for the assets is in money markets or CDs.
So, what is this whole brouhaha really all about? The son ticked off that Mom always liked sister more?

I'mTheFather

With regard to "control issues," she has said straight out "I'm in total control." Perhaps some history -- set aside money from mother to son was held back and paid in chunks after sister said she could write a check, right here and now, while family was together at the memorial. Then decided that if brother didn't do what she wanted, she could pay it out in increments. She definitely has control issues.
So, she is in total control of the money, as the mother intended.

What was it that prompted her to announce at the memorial that she "could write a check, right here and now"?

And once again, who are you in all this? The son's wife?

anteater

So... To sum it up:

The only thing the son can do unilaterally is to spend some money on an attorney in an attempt to persuade a court to flat out override the wishes of the trustor. And, since there appears to be no mismanagement of the trust assets or refusal to expend funds for the stated purposes of the trust or anything else except some sibling squabbling, I'd put my money on the sister prevailing.

tranquility

Tranquility

How would the trustee delegate the power to another -- there is no problem with letting her hold the responsibility?
First, I would get a lobotomy. Then, I hand over the checkbook. After that, I prepare for the lawsuit that is sure to come that I will eventually lose.

tranquility

You are an uninvolved person who is looking at how to control trust assets but take no responsibility for them, leaving the trustee holding the bag for any problems and WE'RE a piece of work?

If there is a fiduciary breach, sue the trustee. If not, ask the trustee. You cannot make them do anything. As a side note, the trustee would be a fool to allow the powers go to another while he is the trustee.

stillfat

it wasn't a collective "you people" -- there is no need to be rude. I understand what you've all stated. Perhaps they asked me to look into this -- so I have a reason to be asking the questions. Thank you and have a lovely day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">