• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 13 can it be converted to Ch 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobsalas

What is the name of your state? OR

I am 3 months into Ch 13 and boy is it tough. We tried to go Ch 7 but the trustee found we had $300 left over after expenses and took it along with about $5000 in tax refunds. No problem, but very tough.
My wife is collecting unemployment and it is scheduled to end in a few months and our mortgage is goin to go up about $300-$400 at about that same time. Damn ARM.

So my question is: can we convert to a Ch 7 at that time? Does it make sense - as oppossed to starving and living in the streets.

Ladynred

If your income is going to change drastically, and your expenses too, then yes, you might be able to convert to a Ch 7 after all that happens. If it lowers your disposable income you might not have a problem. The alternative is to modify your Ch 13 plan to reflect the lower income and higher expenses.

GaAtty

You should have a bankruptcy attorney before you do this. Not only is it a little complicated to do yourself, the problem is that if you convert to a Ch. 7, you will lose your house unless you have very little equity in it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">