• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 7 and a car loan need some suggestions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dinpoudel

What is the name of your state? California

I got chapter 7 discharge 5 months ago and included my car on the scheule when i filed, so the car was included in the chapter seven but am still driving the car and making payments.

After bankruptcy, i started working on my credit and my score is 650. My question is now am in the situtation that i can't keep on making payments on the auto. So i am thinking to turn in my car. if i do so will it gonna effect my credit now.

Any advice would be appriciated.

bnkruptintexas

I don't have a answer to your question but I am curious to know what you did that helped your credit score. I am one month post d/c and mine is 517.

Ladynred

Did you reaffirm on the car loan ? If not, then you can walk away from it w/o any worries, nothing owed. If you DID reaffirm, walking away would be the same as pre-BK.. a repo and bad for your credit.

For info on credit repair post-bk, go to www.creditinfocenter.com

I was in the same situation as you. I DIDN'T reaffirm the car loan and I turned it back in after a year. You can safely walk away from the loan and not owe a penny. My credit report didn't change and it still showed IIB after the car was voluntarily repo'd.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">