• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support filed in the middle of the month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilyanderson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was served with child support papers on the 15th and I would like to know if that means that for that first month, am I responsible for the whole amount or half the amount and does it only count for the 15th going forward? The reason I ask this is that I gave money before the 15th with a receipt signed as "for child support" and I'm afraid that it won't count towards that month's support.

Proserpina

I was served with child support papers on the 15th and I would like to know if that means that for that first month, am I responsible for the whole amount or half the amount and does it only count for the 15th going forward? The reason I ask this is that I gave money before the 15th with a receipt signed as "for child support" and I'm afraid that it won't count towards that month's support.

When was the petition FILED?

(not SERVED)

mistoffolees

Tell us the exact wording of the order. Word for word but without names.

In general, though, payments made before the order was filed would not count as support under the order - unless the order specifically says that they're included.

dkishton1486

How was the first payment made? Who was it sent to? Is you send a payment that says for "child support" they only see that as a gift so that wont count. They usually dont start a support order until after they review all the pays of each party then you are both sent a letter with how much is due and they will send the paper work to your employer to withold the wages

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">