• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support from a non US citizen, please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WittyUserName

I would encourage the OP to read these forums and think about the number of parents who wait YEARS for Child Support, if it ever arrives at all.

My child was born in 2002, and I didn't start receiving CS steadily until 2007. That was with a Dad who lived one state away. I can't imagine the delay when dealing with an international child support case. Lots of red tape and hoops to jump through, I'd imagine.

And I'm one of the lucky ones; there are folks here who end up raising their children with zero financial help. You really need to be prepared for the possibility that you will be raising this child with no financial help from Dad. It may not be fair, but that's the reality. Get used to "unfair".

nextwife

I would encourage the OP to read these forums and think about the number of parents who wait YEARS for Child Support, if it ever arrives at all.

My child was born in 2002, and I didn't start receiving CS steadily until 2007. That was with a Dad who lived one state away. I can't imagine the delay when dealing with an international child support case. Lots of red tape and hoops to jump through, I'd imagine.

And I'm one of the lucky ones; there are folks here who end up raising their children with zero financial help. You really need to be prepared for the possibility that you will be raising this child with no financial help from Dad. It may not be fair, but that's the reality. Get used to "unfair".
Yup. My DH's dad died when his mom was 6 months pregnant with him. Non US, so no social security AND no child support. Ever, not once. They were married, but in such a scenario, even if dad had been a US citizen entitled to social security, if a non married situation, even establishing paternity would be a serious challenge.

My sib is a single adoptive parent, so will also be raising their child with zero child support and zero help from a second parent.

Last edited:

WittyUserName

Yup. My DH's dad died when his mom was 6 months pregnant with him. Non US, so no social security AND no child support. Ever, not once. They were married, but in such a scenario, even if dad had been a US citizen entitled to social security, if a non married situation, even establishing paternity would be a serious challenge.
Exactly. I don't know what OP's expectations are, but they seem very out of line with the reality.

Also, OP - something else you should be prepared for, as it comes up on these forums a great deal. If Dad establishes paternity, he will likely be entitled to visitation and some decision making responsibilities for the child, REGARDLESS of whether he ever pays support. Child Support and Visitation are two separate things, and he is entitled to time with the kid even if you never see a dime. You are the only one who knows what the relationship with Dad is like, but again - be prepared that he could decide to be plenty annoying.

"Unfair" does not begin to describe how difficult it can be to have to try to co-parent with someone whose only focus is how best to mess with the other parent's time/energy/relationships, etc.

LdiJ

Then he's not on the Visa Waiver.

Trust me on this one. If you enter using the Visa Waiver, you CANNOT work in the US - period. His Australian company might be paying him illegally to stay here and do whatever it is, but that's NOT kosher. The Visa Waiver program allows a tourist to enter without having to go through the pain of obtaining an actual tourist visa (that's the whole point of it, actually), but it absolutely does NOT authorize employment. At all.

I'm not going to toot my own horn here, but I'd guess I know more about how immigration works with family law than the vast majority of responders.

I know what I'm talking about, to put it bluntly.

And you SHOULD be worried about it.
Actually Pro...what she is describing is not impossible. She may have the terminology wrong, but its not uncommon. Most generally it involves foreign companies training new subsidiaries in the US, or US companies, training foreign subsidary management. However it has to be short term, hence the need to go back to the other country in between training sessions.

Proserpina

Actually Pro...what she is describing is not impossible. She may have the terminology wrong, but its not uncommon. Most generally it involves foreign companies training new subsidiaries in the US, or US companies, training foreign subsidary management. However it has to be short term, hence the need to go back to the other country in between training sessions.

I'm going by what the OP said , not what you or I think she might actually mean.

She used the words "visa waiver". That's pretty specific. There are other visa types for what you're suggesting.

If you want to second guess though, go ahead.

(Unless you're suggesting that you can actually work while here on the VWP?! )

LdiJ

I'm going by what the OP said , not what you or I think she might actually mean.

She used the words "visa waiver". That's pretty specific. There are other visa types for what you're suggesting.

If you want to second guess though, go ahead.

(Unless you're suggesting that you can actually work while here on the VWP?! )
No, I wasn't suggesting that you can actually work while here on the VWP. I was suggesting that she got the terminology wrong.

Proserpina

No, I wasn't suggesting that you can actually work while here on the VWP. I was suggesting that she got the terminology wrong.

Then I'm truly puzzled as to why you actually posted. :confused:

You said:

Actually Pro...what she is describing is not impossible.
Based upon what she actually said, it IS absolutely impossible. He CANNOT work on the Visa Waiver. That is precisely what I said.

Sure, he could be here on one of several different visas and be working legally. But that's NOT what OP said, and that's not what I was addressing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">