• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in Europe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaureenRenfro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

My soon-to-be ex-wife wants to move to Italy (where she is a citizen) with our two children who were born here in California. I still want joint legal custody and will agree to her having sole physical custody (with the children allowed to visit me here in California once a year). If I agree to this, will I still have to pay child support? Or it depends on our Settlement Agreement.

Thank you.

Isis1

My soon-to-be ex-wife wants to move to Italy (where she is a citizen) with our two children who were born here in California. I still want joint legal custody and will agree to her having sole physical custody (with the children allowed to visit me here in California once a year). If I agree to this, will I still have to pay child support? Or it depends on our Settlement Agreement.

Thank you.
yes you still will have to pay child support. :mad:

you still are 50/50 responsible for your children.

however, if mom WANTS to, she can have the child support suspended as a part of the negotiations for her to move to Italy.

is that the only thing stopping you from consenting mom to move with the children?

Proserpina

yes you still will have to pay child support. :mad:

you still are 50/50 responsible for your children.

however, if mom WANTS to, she can have the child support suspended as a part of the negotiations for her to move to Italy.

is that the only thing stopping you from consenting mom to move with the children?
I do hope not :(

(actually there is one question I have - if OP has joint legal, and Mom is in Italy with the kids - wouldn't it be difficult to enforce should there be any contempt issues?)

LdiJ

Thank you.
The courts would still expect you to support your children, no matter where they are living. However, you and mom can certainly come to agreements regarding the amount of support that you pay.

How old are your children? I have some reasons for asking.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
yeah i caught that too

i've been googling.....no verification this poster is female. but i still suspect this is new wife.
Not if he has a soon to be ex wife. Which means new girlfriend. And WHY would dad let his children be moved away to another country?

Isis1

Not if he has a soon to be ex wife. Which means new girlfriend. And WHY would dad let his children be moved away to another country?
you're right as usual. unless new girlfriend already "changed" her last name for fun. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">