• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ALITY

iluvdalejr said:
"The need for a custodial parent to contribute to the financial support of a child must be carefully balanced against the need for the parent's full time presence in the home."

That is a direct quote from Illinois child support laws.

To me, I take it as the state agrees that a child is much better off if the custodial parent is able to stay at home with the child. Shame on those who try to make one feel guilty for being a stay at home parent.

Thank you thank you-I will never feel guilty for staying home with my kids. I was able to do so much with them that working mothers never will be able to do. I was a working mother for awhile until they were four and two so I did work. (for those who may think otherwise)

A

ALITY

--PARIDISE-- said:
VeronicaGia said:
If he is court ordered to carry the insurance, then he is complying with the court order. If you want to get this changed so that YOU are court ordered to carry the insurance, then try to do so. Until then, he has every right.

You also say he is now ordered to pay $190/week in child support. That is a lot of money! $760/month? And then you say he "isn't paying the bulk of what she needs and uses"? You are also required to support the child. He is not required to pay "the bulk" both of you are responsible for the financial support of the child. If you still cannot support the child with his $760 a month, plus your portion, maybe you need to figure out what you're wasting so much money on, and realize that child support is to cover the basic needs of the child, not the childs wants, not $200 shoes, etc.

Realize that his child support is $9880 a year, plus the insurance you mention above which is $8,000 a year, that's $17,880 a year! Some entire families live on less than that.[/QUOTE

What is the purpose of your response? What does it matter how much was awarded as child support? What does it matter that some families live on less? They are not this family.

How is this poster wasting money?

Your response to her was a personal opinion, NEW's FLASH!!!!!!!! It all comes down to the same.

800 bucks a month or 3 bucks a month......Same thing. She has as much right to the legal system as anyone else.

Yes don't you love how others speculate. Waste money on $157 a week-I think not. Thanks for your post!

T

truly

haiku said:
sure its been 10 years since you have had your child support looked into, and yes everyone is entitled legally to a review, but you know what?

you get 760 EVERY month, on time and in full.

he pays health ins. every month, you CHOOSE not to use.

For someone so evil, he takes care of his obligation as far as most of us can see.

there are people here with 1000+ a month orders who have NEVER seen a dime. It looks real good on paper.....
Thank you Haiku, I understand what the orginal poster is saying about wanting an increase and the ex pulling the "wool" over the courts eyes to make him look as though he can't afford more...reality is there are a lot of single moms like myself out here hustling everyday at a job we hate to make ends meet because the father of our children sees fit to jump jobs, quit jobs and run state to state....Heck, $500 a month looks good on paper...$100 a week looks good on paper...but even $50 a month would reeeeaally help to pay the childs insurance prescription copays. The original poster may have it tough...but there are some with it out here tougher.

A

ALITY

truly said:
Thank you Haiku, I understand what the orginal poster is saying about wanting an increase and the ex pulling the "wool" over the courts eyes to make him look as though he can't afford more...reality is there are a lot of single moms like myself out here hustling everyday at a job we hate to make ends meet because the father of our children sees fit to jump jobs, quit jobs and run state to state....Heck, $500 a month looks good on paper...$100 a week looks good on paper...but even $50 a month would reeeeaally help to pay the childs insurance prescription copays. The original poster may have it tough...but there are some with it out here tougher.

I see what you mean truly. Lucky for me my ex doesn't skip around between living areas and jobs. He has another son that is ready for high school and is an eye doctor so he isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine having to deal with all that. In that respect I have it made-but I shouldn't have to compare my situation to those who have it tougher. We CP should have what we are entitled to for our children.

T

truly

ALITY said:
I see what you mean truly. Lucky for me my ex doesn't skip around between living areas and jobs. He has another son that is ready for high school and is an eye doctor so he isn't going anywhere. I can't imagine having to deal with all that. In that respect I have it made-but I shouldn't have to compare my situation to those who have it tougher. We CP should have what we are entitled to for our children.
I understand where you're coming from, truly I do. What IS the biggest crying shame is that there have to be ANY laws enacted to force people to take care of the children they have made. I understand wanting the best for your child, we all do. I know I do too....good luck in all your efforts!

A

ALITY

truly said:
I understand where you're coming from, truly I do. What IS the biggest crying shame is that there have to be ANY laws enacted to force people to take care of the children they have made. I understand wanting the best for your child, we all do. I know I do too....good luck in all your efforts!

Same to you! It is sad that laws have to be made for this. I would take nothing in return for him taking an active interest in her life. He asked me to call him with her shirt size for God's sake. But then again he is getting her something for her birthday-some don't do that. She just wonders why he isn't calling, coming for visits, seeing her in band, soccer, softball etc. etc. etc. The money is nothing as far as she is concerned. She wants him to pay attention to her. For that I feel bad and glad she has a family that supports her in all she does here.

S

stormincna

Hello....supporting a family on $190.00 a week. I don't see that.

Last edited:
S

stormincna

ALITY....Are you Ivana Trump with that extravagant lifestyle?....you must be with that much money!! LOL

A

ALITY

stormincna said:
ALITY....Are you Ivana Trump with that extravagant lifestyle?....you must be with that much money!! LOL

Yes, some seem to think so dahling!

M

mightydog29

not to be rude but did you ever think of getting a job. I would like to see how you would feel having to pay all your own expenses, as well as child support.
it seems to me that you are trying to make him pay more money because you are bitter about the relationship or lack there of with your daughter.

nextwife

Seems that it's a darn good thing for some women that they are fertile - because if they couldn't make babies they'd have to support themselves like most adults do.

I dunno. I was always taught to have no more kids than I could afford on my own because anything can happen, and if hubby (or ex hubby if that's one's story) ends up disabled with a terminal brain tumor like my dad did when I was a teen, the household doesn't totally fall apart economically.

randen5862

so many cp.s creating so many deadbeat dads

ALITY said:
Never said he was evil-just not as caring as I wish he was. For her sake, she wonders why he doesn't call or see her. I have never mentioned one negative thing about him. I didn't not choose to use the insurance-I just got the card Friday. Didn't think I would have to have a court order to get it. Yes 1000+ on paper isn't worth crap is it? For that I am grateful that I don't have to fight for it. The state handles that for me.
maybe if you were not after him for more more more, and could be a little less greedy .it,s just possible that he could find more time to be with his daughter, you are getting more than your share but is your daughter getting her dad or is he getting a fair opportunity to be a dad to his daughter. it doesnt appear. so many cp.s make it all about money and all about them forgetting the one most in need the child. i have been there, and have been separated from my children, and they hardly even know me now, that was never the intent but i couldnt be in same state with their mother. without having the desire to kill her. through her greed and abuse of the system. but i know in time as the children mature we will find our place again.

Gracie3787

randen5862 said:
maybe if you were not after him for more more more, and could be a little less greedy .it,s just possible that he could find more time to be with his daughter, you are getting more than your share but is your daughter getting her dad or is he getting a fair opportunity to be a dad to his daughter. it doesnt appear. so many cp.s make it all about money and all about them forgetting the one most in need the child. i have been there, and have been separated from my children, and they hardly even know me now, that was never the intent but i couldnt be in same state with their mother. without having the desire to kill her. through her greed and abuse of the system. but i know in time as the children mature we will find our place again.
Uh, randen, why are you replying to a thread that is almost a year old? ;)

L

legalcuriosity

iluvdalejr said:
"The need for a custodial parent to contribute to the financial support of a child must be carefully balanced against the need for the parent's full time presence in the home."

That is a direct quote from Illinois child support laws.

To me, I take it as the state agrees that a child is much better off if the custodial parent is able to stay at home with the child. Shame on those who try to make one feel guilty for being a stay at home parent.
Actually, you're taking advantage of that language as THE reason to be a stay-at-home mom and nothing else. That's irresponsible. Key word in that language is "need." Granted that language is broad and vague, but there's no way a sensible Judge is going to say "oh, ok...you're perfectly healthy and competant and you're child is healthy as well, so OK...stay at home". One can read that language as they want.

The mom is very capable of working and the child is healthy. Being a stay-at-home mom is an option. There is no NEED for her to stay at home. Just because she doesn't work -- by HER choosing -- does not relieve herself from her financial obligation for the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">