• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support q

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new2this

My state currently is Massachusettes, but I am looking to move to Vermont. Hopefully that wont confuse the question. I just recently had a paternity test done and found out who the father of my child was, and it is not the person that I thought it was, therefore my child does not have the last name of the biological father. I do not know if my child needs to have the biological father's last name to receive child support...any answers/advice?

kmom23

new2this said:
My state currently is Massachusettes, but I am looking to move to Vermont. Hopefully that wont confuse the question. I just recently had a paternity test done and found out who the father of my child was, and it is not the person that I thought it was, therefore my child does not have the last name of the biological father. I do not know if my child needs to have the biological father's last name to receive child support...any answers/advice?
I am almost positive that they do not. I am from Connecticut and from my understanding MA laws are about the same. My child does not his last name either, and I still recieve support.

Gracie3787

new2this said:
Was the paternity test court ordered? If it was you will have to refile naming the other possible father, then the court will order that father to get tested.
CS will be ordered to the LEGAL father-only after paternity has been established by court order.

new2this

paternity test

the test was done because the male who thought he was the father wanted to find out (biological dad) and we did it. so does this mean i have to change my sons last name?

Bali Hai

new2this said:
the test was done because the male who thought he was the father wanted to find out (biological dad) and we did it. so does this mean ihave to change my sons last name?

Name the kid what you want...since the bio male was so curious, he gets to pay regardless what you name it.

Tell him he did the right thing, but for the wrong reason....jackass

ceara19

You don't have to change the child's name to petition for support. The man that is considered the LEGAL father can petion to change the child's name though.

nextwife

Just because the kid has the other guy's name DOESN"T automatically mean he is the LEGAL father. There may be NO legal father at this point.

But certainly once biodad is legally established, he'd have every right to request a name change. Why would he want HIS son to bear the last name of a different guy you were also sleeping with?

Bali Hai said:
Name the kid what you want...since the bio male was so curious, he gets to pay regardless what you name it.

Tell him he did the right thing, but for the wrong reason....jackass
And a guy wanting to know if a child is his before assuming legal responsibility does NOT make him a jackass. It makes him prudent. And, considering the fact that the child was that of another man, requesting a paternity test was a wise thing to do!

Last edited:

Just Blue

new2this said:

No, You child doesn't need to have bio-dads last name...:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">