• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Reduction Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JR1

Thanks for the many replies. I am letting all of this soak in.

By the way, I am going to pay all of the arreage... I have an asset I am in process of selling to pay her off and to keep myself out of bankruptcy court. SHould have money in hand within a few days.

Thanks again.

Cranberry

The deal looks good!

From what I read on another site, I just wanted to give you a heads up! If this was posted legitimately, it looks like the deal that they are offering you is pretty reasonable. It was your exes husband posting. It was the same letter as you gave everybody to look at on this site. Hopefully this will help. I hope it wan't you reposting on another site, cause then obviously this info would be irrelavant. I just came across it by coincidence. Seems like they feel sorry for you and do not want to go through litigation.

Just tryin to help.

Anyways, Good Luck!

JR1

Cranberry,

Thanks for the heads-up. Ex, I and her husband do have a good relationship (for the kids) and we want to keep it that way. They are the ones who told me about these legal forums so I am not surprised. I am not sure which forums they get on but we all feel the same way about getting frustrated with lawyers and not getting answers (and yes, these forums offer alot of good free advice). We all want to keep this from going to litigation and trying to work together and keep more money in our pockets and not the lawyers.

Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

JR1, do not get confused with Mike's erroneous information.

First, his letter is from child enforcement and has no legal standing per statute. Tennessee does indeed limit the time to refile for modification (outside of a significant change in circumstances) to every three years.

Child services can review a case every two days if they feel like it. That does not change the fact that the statute controls.

Second, if your attorney is not providing service per your agreement, fire her or land in her office until she does. That's pretty simple.

As to your 'offer in compromise'. NO ONE can advise you to take it or not. That would be practicing law and that's something we can't do on the internet. What we can do is tell you whether or not it is legal, it would hold water in court should it be breached and if it is something we would consider.

And on that issue, I can't advise. Simply because I don't know how much you are in arrears, how much your support payments are, what your current order states and your work situation and how long it would normally be before you can find suitable work again.

You are asking for a pig in a poke and it's just not possible. Only you and/or your attorney can make that determination.

Does the offer in compromise sound fair? Yes. Is it the right thing to do? Who knows. Would I advise my client to sign such without knowing all the facts? Absolutely not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">