• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support vs termination of parental rights in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Once his rights are terminated, he is no longer a parent and no longer financially obligated to the children. That does NOT alleviate him from past support. It might be worth him filing to modify that court order if he cannot pay it for obvious reasons.

As for your case with your grandchildren, it may be easier if you can make nice with mom so that you can continue to see the children. You may have a case to have a visitation schedule with them, but it may prove to be costly for all parties. A suit of that nature can drive an irreversable wedge into your relationship between yourself and the daughter-in-law.

Mom will also need some major assurances that your son not see the children if they are with you. A move of that nature could cost her the rights to those children.

KylesMom

Thought I would take a moment to update this thread. Yesterday (02/02/10) My sons parental rights were indeed terminated as we all agreed that they would. When it came to the matter of my grandchildren however, the Judge explained that indeed, I shall remain their grandmother and ordered very liberal visitation to become affective immediately. Went further in his order to make it clear to all parties the nurturing and positive affect between grandparents/grand children despite the assumptions stated by the organizations ie, CPS/DHS that they would be best served to severe all contact with the paternal family.

Thank you all for your input, encouragement and opinions. Your time and efforts were greatly appreciated.

Isis1

Thought I would take a moment to update this thread. Yesterday (02/02/10) My sons parental rights were indeed terminated as we all agreed that they would. When it came to the matter of my grandchildren however, the Judge explained that indeed, I shall remain their grandmother and ordered very liberal visitation to become affective immediately. Went further in his order to make it clear to all parties the nurturing and positive affect between grandparents/grand children despite the assumptions stated by the organizations ie, CPS/DHS that they would be best served to severe all contact with the paternal family.

Thank you all for your input, encouragement and opinions. Your time and efforts were greatly appreciated.
on behalf of your grandchildren, i am indeed sorry to hear that dad is no longer dad. was mom's parental rights also severed?

KylesMom

Mom's parental rights are still intact. She is working hard on a parenting program to try and be reinstated with the children. She is required to present evidence of her progress monthly with not only the agencies involved but the Judge himself. If she fails to comply, they will petition to terminate her rights as well, at which time we were told that the court will and must give considerable weight to permanent placement with us. The heartfelt wishes are that she does comply and succeed so that she may be reunited with the children.

It was an incredibly sad day for my son and his children, I shall hold out hope that when they become of age a resolution can be found. I know this was probably the worst day of my sons life, but again his actions that put him in prison led to the very destruction of what he loves most.

I can only hope that these same agencies that pushed for this decision will be there for the children over the years to help counsel and educate them as well. In the mean time, that is why we remain a family...to love, support and nurture these precious innocent victims.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I would hope for the sake of the children that you can provide assistance to mom to help her regain her children. The children are currently without either parent - not a good place to be. If you can provide the encouragement to her, that will probably be helpful to the situation.

My heart goes to you because this had to be a very trying day to you. You can love your children, but not agree with their actions.

KylesMom

Thank you for understanding what most appear to lose sight of. I never raised my son to chose the actions he took, but all too often we are "guilty by association" or deemed failures. We raised a house full of wonderful children, what they do today lays solely in their hands & on their conscience. We remain loyal to our son by virtue of love, compassion and family. You are so right though...WE DON'T ALWAYS APPROVE OR AGREE WITH THEIR CHOICES. And I have had to face days where I do not like him very much, but I will always love him.

And as far as my daughter-in-law, she has been my "daughter" since day one, I will probably remain harder on her then any agency or court could possibly be. LOL (the joys of being a mother in law).

They (son and his wife) are good people, they have just made bad decisions and choices, and I will forever believe in second chances. Thank you again.

divona2000

...The State is pursuing child support for the foster parents. Mother of children exempt for paying as she is unemployed. Son received notice today at his Correctional facility that he is now liable for $800 per child per month, even though he is incarcerated and will be at least a minimum of 3 years. That is $1600 per month with no income...math does not quite add up...
Did a court actually say this? Mom doesn't have to pay support because she isn't working?

Isis1

Did a court actually say this? Mom doesn't have to pay support because she isn't working?
i was thinking...it might depend on how long mom might have been unemployed. i had a clerk tell me sometimes that's why income isn't inputed.

KylesMom

Was looking for the court order to respond.
N/M (natural mother)/ N/F (natural father) This Honorable court finds: An Order of disposition having been entered and _____ parent/guardian of _____ has been found financially responsible for the costs incurred for Juvenile's placement, medical, dental, optical, clothing & other needs determined necessary by the Court during the juvenile's placement in a facility outside of the child's home.

Wherein both parents are ordered to pay the above costs, their obligations are as follows:
N/F: $800.00 per month
N/M: The court determines that the parent(s)/guardian(s) are unable to pay
at this time and therefore temporarily suspends the monthly payments until which time employment is verified.

KylesMom

Forgot to add to previous post re: child support/assistance for the babies, that even though our son's rights were terminated today and hence so were his financial obligations, we paid the balance owing to date of $3200 ($800 per mo. per child) this was owing since incarceration in December thru March 5th. Then made arrangements that were joyfully accepted by the Judge to pay half of his original amount in good faith for the care of our grand kids. Reducing the $1600 mo to $800 mo. We were told we were in no means held liable or responsible for any monetary issues, but we also know in our hearts that it is very expensive to raise children and felt this was the right thing to do.

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, the father technically owes nothing forward, just any arrearages that exists, right?

Is the support money going directly to the foster parents, or are you paying the state and the state is giving them foster payments?

KylesMom

Money will be sent directly to the foster parents as it is considered a gift. We are not paying "child support". Rather just trying to contribute to their well being. We will still send and supply them with gifts when we see them like we do now. It is just are way of trying to help.

Do you think we have or are doing something wrong by these actions? I am curious as if we made a mistake. However, I don't see how, but then again, I am just a grandma. Thanks.

KylesMom

I am assuming the foster parents will have to declare the monies received. However, the balance owed by our son today was paid to the Friend of the Court as that is where that bill originated from. (will be deducted from any future inheritance) ...boy that sounded cold as hell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">