• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Me and the other parent have an 80/20 custody arrangement, and want to get child support. I haven't received a cent from her since he was born and he's 20 months. The mother is unemployed, but I've heard the courts can impute her income at minimum wage. I am on disability and need help. How much do you all think I can get, if any? Is it worth taking her to court now or should I wait until she gets a job?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is your arrangement through the court? And... have you been legally declared the father. Yes, it matters. No, the fact that he looks like you doesn't.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Me and the other parent have an 80/20 custody arrangement, and want to get child support. I haven't received a cent from her since he was born and he's 20 months. The mother is unemployed, but I've heard the courts can impute her income at minimum wage. I am on disability and need help. How much do you all think I can get, if any? Is it worth taking her to court now or should I wait until she gets a job?
Its not worth you spending any money, because no matter how much money the court orders it may be next to impossible to collect from her. However, if you go through the child support agency (which may take a while) they will handle it for you at little to no cost, and then you will have an enforceable order, so that if some day you are able to collect, they will collect it for you.

However, please understand that someone determined not to pay support will dodge it at every possible opportunity. If you are not collecting any kind of state benefits for the child you might try to apply for those, because if you are collecting state benefits that tends to light a fire under the child support agency.

mistoffolees

Yes, I have him 80% of the time. This is court ordered. To clarify, I am also on SSDI.
Here is the California child support calculator:
https://www.cse.ca.gov/ChildSupport/cse/guidelineCalculator

Plug in the numbers - using a full time minimum wage for her - to see what you come up with. That's probably the MAXIMUM you could receive. The minimum is, of course, zero.

I wouldn't bother with court since your chances of actually collecting are slim. Rather, contact CA child support enforcement agency (see the above site) and have them open a case for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">