• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child's rights in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjay

What is the name of your state? CA

I think I know the answer to this question, but I'd like some verification. I have a friend who has been divorced since her child was very young. The child's father has had no contact with my friend or her child since the 7 year old was an infant.

She is under the impression that when her child turns 14, the child can make the decision to legally change her name and that if she chooses she can be adopted by her stepfather at that time.

Is my friend delusional?

C

CaliCat

If the biodad has been MIA so long, the courts may terminate his rights without his consent and allow the step-dad to adopt, regardless of her age.

VeronicaGia

CaliCat said:
If the biodad has been MIA so long, the courts may terminate his rights without his consent and allow the step-dad to adopt, regardless of her age.
Not necessarily. Our poster doesn't mention if dad pays support. If he does, that is considered contact with the child and not abandonment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">