• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Lawsuit vs Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qvclubs

What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE

Have a 19 year old Grandson who confessed to arson that occurred when he was 17. Since he was 18 at time confession was made, he is being tried as an adult. At the time the crime happened, Grandson had been on Paxel and has no memory of several months of his life and was suicidal. He was put in a Mental Institution for 30 days during which time he was weaned off the drug Paxel and is now getting his life back in order.

One of the owner's of business he burned wants either $30,000.00 or she is filing a civil lawsuit for several million. Grandson acquired his High School diploma by taking a written test and is now in his first year in 2 year college and does not have any source of income.

Question: If a civil suit is entered and judgement is against him, will taking bankruptcy wipe this debt out?

Thank you for your advice,

qvclubs (Jean)

Q

qvclubs

:confused:
qvclubs said:
What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE

Have a 19 year old Grandson who confessed to arson that occurred when he was 17. Since he was 18 at time confession was made, he is being tried as an adult. At the time the crime happened, Grandson had been on Paxel and has no memory of several months of his life and was suicidal. He was put in a Mental Institution for 30 days during which time he was weaned off the drug Paxel and is now getting his life back in order.

One of the owner's of business he burned wants either $30,000.00 or she is filing a civil lawsuit for several million. Grandson acquired his High School diploma by taking a written test and is now in his first year in 2 year college and does not have any source of income.

Question: If a civil suit is entered and judgement is against him, will taking bankruptcy wipe this debt out?

Thank you for your advice,

qvclubs (Jean)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Additionally, and from a Civil liability standpoint, if I were his parent(s) or legal guardian, I'd be shaking in my boots right about now. You see, parents or guardians are legally liable for the "intentional acts" of their minor children.

IAAL

Q

qvclubs

TENNESSEE

I think that in the State of Tennessee there is a cap of $10,000.00 against negligent parents. In this case the parents were not negligent, he slipped out his bedroom window. Would it be best for parents to accept responsibility and pay the $10,000.00? Would that negate civil suit against crime that was committed by a minor?

Thanks much,

qvclubs

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

qvclubs said:
TENNESSEE

I think that in the State of Tennessee there is a cap of $10,000.00 against negligent parents. In this case the parents were not negligent, he slipped out his bedroom window. Would it be best for parents to accept responsibility and pay the $10,000.00? Would that negate civil suit against crime that was committed by a minor?

Thanks much,

qvclubs

My response:

This wasn't a "negligent act". Parents are on the hook for their childrens' INTENTIONAL acts. Arson is "intentional".

IAAL

Q

qvclubs

Thank you very much, your advice is very much appreciated.

qvclubs

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">